Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Tbird required a new coil today-just managed to limp into my local Triumph garage.

The cost was horrendous. Now, it seems, another coil is on the way out. :(

I've searched the threads for possible replacements for OEM coils-Nology comes up a lot. But, are there any cheap makes of coils out there that will do the job? Anything off something Japanes, for example?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
You can get all three Nology for abot $200 US.
Three from Triumph will be over $400!!!
I thought about the jap bike coil thing myself but never found out too much about it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I bought coils directly from Nology. Couldn't have been easier. I also appreciated their service. One of mine had already been replaced, so I only needed two. The Nology service rep noticed I was ordering two coils for a three cyl engine and called to make sure my order was correct. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
JC Whitney sells 'em for about $20 ea. Will someone please try them and let us know how they worked?:eek:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help-I actually went and bought 3 used off ebay.

Fitted them today-well two of them-and the bike went fine. For half a mile. Then all 3 cylinders cut out. Restarted by turning off the ignition and on again. This continued for the next hour-including cutting out when I flipped the side stand up in neutral and putting the kill switch on and off. Still stopped after about half a mile after I got it going again. Yes, there is petrol in the tank. :confused:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
sounds like fuel starvation to me . check that your tank is venting properly and that your getting good fuel flow .

loosen the fuel cap after it dies and see if it starts back up giving it time for the carbs to fill back up . check for fuel flow by looseniing one of the float bowl drains after it dies .

pickup coils die when they get hot and are on there way out , just another thought .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks-occurred to me but you have told me how to check it.

After fitting the "new" coils, I may have bent the hose that connects to a non-return valve which comes off the back of the tank-I'll sort that first.

After finally getting the Tbird home, thought I'd take the old Guzzi down the pub instead. Bloody battery was flat.....:eek:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
After fitting the "new" coils, I may have bent the hose that connects to a non-return valve which comes off the back of the tank-I'll sort that first.

o

BINGO !!! sorry forgot to mention that , i don't have a tip-over valve on my bike , but yours does . make sure it's positioned properly !

·
Registered
409 Posts
JC Whitney does NOT carry the correct coils for our bikes.
I thought it was too good to be true. The JC Whitney item description said "for all motorcycles that require one coil per spark plug"
That sounded like it might be worth a try. I recon they don't generate the right output. Nice website there BIGAl. Roadhouse Blues good music choice.
There can never be too much talk about the coils we use. They are like the sinoatrial nodes of our engines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts