Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm doing a major service on my 2002 ST and noticed that two of the rubber seals that keep water out of the plug wells need replacing.

These seals are not sold separately by Triumph AFAIK, and I'll not spend $500 for new coils just to get new seals.

The seals are flexible molded rubber and look like $3 parts, if I can find somewhere that sells them. They have channels molded in so simple O-rings probably won't work.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a company that sells seals and gaskets individually that may be searchable through an illustrated catalog?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I believe that part actually seals the cam cover to the cylinder head mid-well.

There is an upgraded part number for the 1050 coil seal.
The original seal let moisture into the well.
The new seal part number "T1291511" includes a cap that covers the well lip visible in the link Caddy posted.

I have seen two different coil arrangements for 955's. One coil is bolted on while the other (Caddy's link) is press-fit.

If your coils are press-fit, the upgraded 1050 part might fit. The best way to tell would be to drop by a dealer that has a 1050 coil in stock and see if it fits. If it does and the coil body is the same dimension as yours order a set of seals.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much CLB!

My coils are the push-down style and carry the same PN as the original coils on the 1050s before they were superceded.

Since the seals are so cheap (under 3 bucks each retail) I'm going to order 3 and see how they work. If they do fit, I'll post up to the parts thread wiki, since other people will likely have this problem and spending 10 bucks beats $400 anytime.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I can now confirm that the T1291511 coil seals (issued for the '05-up bikes, retail price $2.83/ea) fits and works great on the '02 ST with push-on coils. They are installed and working fine on my bike, definitely an improvement over the 1st design parts.

Thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts