Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the good news is that Belle dropping a cylinder every time it rains is not because of the pods...

The bad news is that it is because of the crack in my #1 coil. :: sigh ::

$410 for a new set of Gills from the Stealership.

$210 for a set of Nologys.

$45 for a set of coil on plug coils off a 955i.... Hrmmmmmmm.

2 questions: Has anyone ever tried it, and do you think the center one would even fit without dropping the front of the motor?

Yes I'm cheap and weird. Just part of my charm.

Merlyn

·
Registered
694 Posts
Merlyn: I wouldn't try that with the ST. Not sure it would even fit. I have several used Gill coils that were working fine when replaced with nologys. If you want one to tide you over, it's yours for $10 plus shipping (paypal is fine). If you do, send your shipping addy to me at [email protected], ASAP and I will ship it ups tomorrow before noon CST. I'm in Oklahoma City. Cheers, tommyturbo2

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tommyturbo2!

I picked up a temporary replacement coil until I can afford a full set of Nologys, so the question about the 955i coils is no longer pressing.

Still an interesting idea though. Assuming that they will even fire with the input that goes to the stock T3 coils, it might be a worthwhile (or at least odd) project... Anyone got a spare 955i coil and a measuring tape?

Merlyn

·
Registered
384 Posts
Merlyn,

Is there definitely a need to replace all 3? I suffered through the intermittent coil failure, and while I could have saved myself a lot of irritation by replacing all 3, at the time it wasn't financially feasible. Plus the MTBF was such that I didn't need to replace all 3 at once. Just a thought.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Merlyn,

Is there definitely a need to replace all 3? I suffered through the intermittent coil failure, and while I could have saved myself a lot of irritation by replacing all 3, at the time it wasn't financially feasible. Plus the MTBF was such that I didn't need to replace all 3 at once. Just a thought.
I am going to pull them all tomorrow and go ever them with a fine tooth to determine just that.

If the other two coils are okay, what I will likely do is start buying a coil every non-rent payday - you can mix and match those, right?. Belle is my only transportation, and I can't afford to have her break down on me.

Merlyn

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How very interesting!

So here I sit with all three of my coils on the desk in front of me.

#1 and #3 are PVLs, made in Germany.

#2 is a Gill with what appears to be a manufacture (or possibly inspection date) of 11/97 (full tag reads: 46.01.11/97).

Looks like I have none of my original coils.

The odd part is that the failed coil (picture attached) is one of the PVLs, whereas the Gill is just fine.

Oh well- seal it up with goop so it's waterproof, and run it till the coil I got from Tommyturbo2 gets here, then run that until I can get some Nology replacements.

If I remember right, Nology and PVL are essentially the same part, correct?

Merlyn

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How very interesting!

So here I sit with all three of my coils on the desk in front of me.

#1 and #3 are PVLs, made in Germany.

#2 is a Gill with what appears to be a manufacture (or possibly inspection date) of 11/97 (full tag reads: 46.01.11/97).

Looks like I have none of my original coils.

The odd part is that the failed coil (Picture in previous post) is one of the PVLs, whereas the Gill is just fine.

Oh well- seal it up with goop so it's waterproof, and run it till the coil I got from Tommyturbo2 gets here, then run that until I can get some Nology replacements.

If I remember right, Nology and PVL are essentially the same part, correct?

Merlyn

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Yeah, I thought you had an odd assortment of coils going on there.

Funnily enough my #3 dropped out again this morning, quick bang on the terminals with a pair of plyers and she's back in the game. Must have come out in sympathy with yours :rolleyes:.

It seems to be getting more frequent though, maybe time for me to look for a new one too. Although I like the sound of running on 2, there's sod all power :eek:.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yeah, I thought you had an odd assortment of coils going on there.

Funnily enough my #3 dropped out again this morning, quick bang on the terminals with a pair of plyers and she's back in the game. Must have come out in sympathy with yours :rolleyes:.

It seems to be getting more frequent though, maybe time for me to look for a new one too. Although I like the sound of running on 2, there's sod all power :eek:.
I noticed! Kinda useful that mine only drops out in the rain... I tend to be a little heavy handed with the throttle anyway - the dead cylinder keeps me out of trouble. Still going to fix it though.

Tell you what- when I start buying replacements, I am most likely going to get a full set for piece of mind. That's going to leave me with one perfectly good PVL and a full set of Gills for emergency spares. The PVL is yours if you want it. US$16.95 shipping (international priority flat rate box - You're in Europe, correct?) plus whatever you think a used PVL is worth.

Merlyn

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Cool, that would be wicked Merlyn, let me know when you're ready to roll eh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts