Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas, was attempting to wire up my new min-tach based on the pictures in one of the threads showing that hook-up. Unfortunately the connector arrangement/types are not at all like those in the pics..they must be using different scheme on the '09s. So am forced more or less to hook up to the coil for the tach signal (as the little instruction sheet that comes with the tach recommends). Problem is I have no idea where it is or even what it looks like (pretty bad hey!)
So can you tell me where it is and how to recognize it.
Thanls guys.
Ted

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The obvious thing to do would be to trace one of the HT leads back from the spark plug - it will terminate at the HT coil. Basically it's a lump of black plastic (or two lumps of black plastic if you've got a Scrambler, Speedie or America) hung from the top frame tube under the tank. If I remember correctly it's a different coil on the EFI bikes and hung a bit lower so you can see it without taking the tank off, but you will need to remove the tank to do this job easily. I suspect that the differences you found from the pics you've seen are due to the fact that the EFI bikes have an ECU that now controls the fuelling as well as the ignition and is completely different to the Gill unit on the carbed bikes. Going by what you say in your post, it might be a good idea if you got a workshop manual. I suspect your only option at the moment is the Triumph item, as the current Haynes book won't cover the electronics for the EFI bikes.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
the EFI bikes have an ECU that now controls the fuelling as well as the ignition and is completely different to the Gill unit on the carbed bikes.
So there's no separate ignitor as such in the EFI bikes? Is it all lumped together with the ECU?. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
So there's no separate ignitor as such in the EFI bikes? Is it all lumped together with the ECU?. Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I believe this to be the case and that it is made by Keihin rather than Gill. In my experience EFI bikes (and cars) have a single engine management unit that controls both fuelling and ignition. It wouldn't really make sense for them to be separate as the two functions interact.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts