Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm here again to seek your infinite wisdom.

So just as the title says the 96 Triple is having issues with coasting and downhill coasting. Whenever I have zero throttle input, the motorcycle sputters. The motorcycle produces smooth revs, no idling issues, and doesn't sputter as long as I have some throttle input.

Now I usually just clutch-in on downhills but this gets tiring so I want to try to fix this issue.

Any clue on what's going on?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Apologies, but...

You're doing it wrong. ;)

Idle is for neutral. When you have zero throttle in gear, the bike should sputter & die. If you really feel the need to coast, put it in neutral.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Apologies, but...

You're doing it wrong. ;)

Idle is for neutral. When you have zero throttle in gear, the bike should sputter & die. If you really feel the need to coast, put it in neutral.

Cheers,
-Kit
I don't think you read my post properly.

The bike/car won't die (nor should it sputter period) in a downhill coast with zero throttle input (say at 5th gear going 65mph with clutch out), there should just be smooth engine braking. My issue is that as the revs drop off it isn't smooth and I'm wondering what could possibly be causing this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
No pops or backfire. Just when I'm engine braking the motorcycle doesn't rev down smoothly.
I can't work out what you mean either; the throttle is closed and the bike is entirely engine-braking but it's not smooth.
What's not smooth?
Is it the chain-snatching or something?
Is it speeding-up and slowing-down?
Is it vibrating or clutch-rattling?

I don't understand your description.
--
Clem

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Yeah, sorry. I think I understand now that you're not trying to coast, but rather describing a problem you're having on decel. I still don't understand what the problem is, though. :confused:

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah, i think i have it!
get your carbs sync'd, at it should decelerate smoother
Ugh, Decelerate... I don't know why that term never came up (makes things much easier to understand) :confused:

Anyways, I was thinking that it may be that my carbs were never synched from the shop after getting tuned (I don't know why). I'll have to go back and get that looked at. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts