Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Just got myself a lovely project, a 1968 T100P, in need of full restoration, have stripped it down and blasted frame, swing arm etc, but was wondering what finish to go with, I have had gloss powder coating done on my old kettle and wasnt that impressed with its longevity as its gone dull, whats your opinion on Coach paint ? or is it just a case of find a better powder coater ? I'm not getting all anal about the resto as Im changing the colour scheme and fitting a TLS but want frame to look good and last, also I'm in the UK, where do you guys recommend for parts as there seems to be a lot of copy/universal parts advertised on the net.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I generally get my spares from TMS Nottingham. (and others, Tri-cor, etc)

As for the frame, I get mine blasted and primed.
A light rub-down with Scotch-brite, grey primer and three coats using black rattle cans, finishing off with a couple of clear-coats.

If you`re not into DIY, get it powder coated, make sure all orifices are masked-off.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I've always used coach paint and got a pretty good finish.

The current build that I'm doing is a cub and it's been done with paint called Flowliner from C Wylde.

In the thread that you linled to, the poster got the OIF problem a bit wrong, as a bit pf paint in the frame is probably ok, but it's the blast media that's the risky bit due to grit getting in to the tank. It's a bugger to get out again.

My T140 was originally powder coated ( I believe) and I pretty much redid the frame 25 years ago with a brush. It's still pretty good and I'd have no hesitation doing it again.

There's a place in Windsor quoting £70 (ex vat?) to do a swing arm and frame but I'd still rather "waste" hours on a wire brush and tin of paint in preference as touching up is fareasier.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Chaps, thats making my mind up for me, Id read some good reports Dave on Flowliner but Ill also check out tekaloid :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave,
how much flowliner do I need to paint frame swing arm etc etc they sell in 250ml tins, also as frame been blasted back to bare metal, do I need flowliner primer or etch primer ?

cheers

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
I'd use some etch primer in a spray can, then use some high build if the frame's a bit rough.
A 250 ml should do you, I've bought several tins but was also doing fork legs and a nacelle at the time. try to do most of it in one go as you'll absorb a fair bit in brush cleaning

I spoke to the guy at Wylde's and he was helpful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use(d) Tekaloid coach paint, it's been used & recommended for years on classic bikes and coaches..

I'm not sure if 250 ml is sufficient ? I bought Tekaloid T318 Black from Avenue Coatings in Slough (I couldn't find a supplier in the N.West) ,1 litre did me for two/three coats of the frame & s/arm, I've got about 250 ml left over. I think just as important as the paint, is the quality of brush - I used a Hamilton Acorn brush, forget which type but they're v.good.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use(d) Tekaloid coach paint, it's been used & recommended for years on classic bikes and coaches..

I'm not sure if 250 ml is sufficient ? I bought Tekaloid T318 Black from Avenue Coatings in Slough (I couldn't find a supplier in the N.West) ,1 litre did me for two/three coats of the frame & s/arm, I've got about 250 ml left over. I think just as important as the paint, is the quality of brush - I used a Hamilton Acorn brush, forget which type but they're v.good.
Good advice about the brush, had already read up about Hamilton brushes, Ill have another look on Tekaloid site, I figured at least 500ml
cheers :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bought a £12 Purdy Monarch Elite brush, and although I wasn't so happy after Id applied the grey tractol primer to the bare metal, after flatting it down and applying a liberal coat of tekaloid black coach paint, the finish is really really good, did the swing arm and stand first, takes a fair old time to dry...but Ill move onto the big stuff now :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just for reference - noting where you are - I use a place called Chicago Powder Coat for all my blasting and powder coating. They are in Mossley (SE Manchester) and have done a couple of scooters for me. They charge about £120 to blast and coat a complete Lambretta (about 24 individual pieces) so I expect a bike frame would be < £100.

I'm considering using them for my T100c resto but I also like the sound of Tekaloid. I'm not sure I have the patience / temperment to get a good finish with gloss though:rolleyes:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
price sounds ok, I was lucky I blasted all parts for free, so only cost was brush & paint..£52

I know it wont be as good as a professional ( or maybe it will ;)), but I got a bee in my bonnet about doing it myself and luckily have a few days hol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts