Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I thought that while I was tending to the leak at my head I would fix the gear oil leak too. This is my first time BTW digging into this motor and I try to follow the FSM the whole way.

I pulled my clutch, primary chain and stator as the FSM instructed, the problem is that when I pulled the Clutch Centre, the puller that I got that looks just like the one in the manual rammed the clutch operating rod straight into the clutch operating mechanism and snapped it like a cracker. No big deal, I can replace the clutch lever (as the FSM calls it, 20 in the picture below) but I'm having a bugger of a time trying to get the clutch operating rod to come out (number 35 in the pic below). Guessing it's slightly bent. Should it just slide right out?

I always learn by trial and error. How do you avoid this mishap? Didn't see anything in the FSM about releasing or moving the rod when pulling the clutch.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well I got the rod out and just as I knew it would be, it's bent to hell. If I could get one of you guys to measure yours I can just make a new one instead of having to buy it. Now to just find a replacement operating mechanism.

Went on ebay and ordered a new rod, operating mechanism and bushing. Nice little $60 mistake!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good part about making mistakes is it makes you learn your motor better.

Like I mentioned before, this is my first time tearing into the motor. When I initially pulled the clutch, I thought "probably need to pull this rod out". Well I tried and it wouldn't budge, so since it wasn't mentioned in the FSM, I left it in and of course screwed it up. What I found out later was that the other end was really badly mushroomed and so it wouldn't pull out from the clutch basket side.

The brass bushing was probably serviceable but the back side felt pretty rough. Since I ordered a replacement anyway, I went ahead and pulled it. Here's a pic of the little puller I rigged up. Worked like a charm.

Have also watched Plewsy's rebuild videos on Youtube since. That has helped a lot. Just waiting on my clutch parts and my Joe Hunt Magneto to show up now!

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Maybe it’s the photo, or just my poor eye sight, but it sort of looks like your kickstart pinion as some sharp edges to it. A quick hit with a small hand file will make quick work of it. The pinion is the one that the ratchet engages.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I'll trust your eyes Shrugger, mine are not so good anymore. I guess my obsession of fiddling with things while waiting on parts got the better of me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts