Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When letting out the clutch, as the bike starts to move, right as the real power happens, I'm feeling this little whoomp. What is that? Everything is running fine, just this annoying little thwump. Like its engaging MORE all of a sudden. I have about 24,000 on my Scrambler. I think it's always done this a little. I have a heavy duty clutch, which I have always felt had springs that were too tight. I remember when I had gold springs installed with the stock clutch, This was bad, and impossible to explain the "sticking" feeling the anyone. Then I changed to a EBC heavy duty clutch that worked great and solved that problem. I am wondering if it is getting old. How long should a clutch last normally? Is this something else?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think you're correct that your clutch has always done this a little. Mine has always done it and I was told by my dealer it was quite common and not an issue. He would say that though, wouldn't he? He told me it could be reduced by modifying the technique used to release the clutch lever but I've no idea what he meant by that. He told me of another customer who has this "problem" but when his mate rides the bike it doesn't happen, implying it's the riders "fault". At the end of the day I don't think it's worth worrying about it too much. As far as how long a clutch will last, it depends on how you treat it, but they seem to last significantly longer than 24k miles for most Bonnie owners. Why have you upgraded the clutch? Have you done engine mods that made the original slip? My clutch is stock by the way.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
That sounds like you have some clutch grab.you could have a hot spot on one of the metal plates .As long as it shifts good and you can ride it ,it prob wont kill your bike.The stock clutch plates grab less then some of the after market plates do.What oil are you useing ?oil afects how the clutch grabs to.If the oil has many miles on it a oil change may help it some to.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That sounds like you have some clutch grab.you could have a hot spot on one of the metal plates .As long as it shifts good and you can ride it ,it prob wont kill your bike.The stock clutch plates grab less then some of the after market plates do.What oil are you useing ?oil afects how the clutch grabs to.If the oil has many miles on it a oil change may help it some to.
That's exactly what it feels like. "Clutch grab", like the plates are sticking together. I'm using Motul E tech 100. I change it every 3K or so.The problem I'm describing isn't only the "delay" when first releasing the clutch, but also at the very end of the clutch release. It feels like a significant amount of power is engaged to the wheel, kinda quicker and more sudden than usual. I've used all kinds of oil. Royal Purple, Motul, Mobil 1, Amsoil. All of em seemed pretty much the same in this regard. Thanks Mike.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
If you pull it apart look close at the teeth on the hub make sure they are not burred up or worn funny .They could cause the plates to get cocked alittle .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts