Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, riding along, minding my own business when I pull up to a light and pull in the clutch. The bike starts to buck and stall. Ok, *** I think, so I put it in neutral and walk her into a gas station. Bike starts right up, pull the clutch, kick her into first and the bike takes off on me. Some cosmetic damage and a bruised ego later, the mechanic tells me all but two of my clutch plates are frozen together. Now I rode all morning and the bike was fine. I'm thinking that as the bike got hot, everything expanded and seized together. Anyone have any experience with this? Oh, I should say its a 72 bonneville. When I go through the ritual of starting it, I always pull the clutch and kick it through a few times. After a new clutch and the bike sitting a while, even kicking it through felt like the clutch was stuck again, then it suddenly released. Could this be just from sitting? Never had a problem before, had the bike 18 years. Makes me afraid to ride it. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Well, this is a first for ME.
Assuming that the mechanic who installed the clutch plates looked at the slots in the center and chainwheel and pronounced them good, then I would go deeper.
Remove the alternator, clutch, and primary chain from the engine and disassemble the clutch assy. Look at the clutch thrust washer and see if it's worn to an oval. Look at the center, see if the cover plates are loose, or if rubber bits are sticking out. Check the nuts on both ends of the mainshaft....remove the kickstart side and see if the nut on the kickstart ratchet is tight. Adust the primary chain to 3/8" TOTAL up and down movement. Make sure the rear chain has at least an inch of play when you do the adjustment, then adjust the rear chain when someone is sitting on the bike. Recheck the primary adjustment. That's about all I can come up with.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Also, when you've got the clutch apart, check the slots on the inside of the the outer basket (the large drum the chain sprocket on the outside of it). These slots carry the driving plates, and if they get "notched" in one position, they can cause the symptoms you describe by not allowing the driving plates to move in/out smoothly when you release the pressure on the clutch. Make sure the sides of the slots are flat all the way along. A small flat points file usually works, but it's fiddly and takes a fair bit of elbow grease.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your input. My mechanic is Art Stapleton. He races Triumphs up here in the Northeast and Daytona and he was mystified. I'll run your ideas by him next time I drop in to say hello.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I've been having the EXACT same issues with my '79.

In addition to what Mecchanica advised...

Have you tried readjusting clutch pressure plate? Replace the clutch springs? Taken out the metal clutch plates and roughed them up to make sure they're not glazed?

·
Registered
371 Posts
On 2006-12-01 08:01, kcnlisa wrote:
Thanks for all your input. My mechanic is Art Stapleton. He races Triumphs up here in the Northeast and Daytona and he was mystified. I'll run your ideas by him next time I drop in to say hello.
i love going to a mechanic or doctor or lawyer -- other overpriced hack who charges $XX/hr for something that you can take care of yourself with a little research and a sharp knife -- with information that i got off the interweb! you can tell it makes their day too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts