Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all for the suggestion of replacing the clutch safety switch.
I do feel this may have been the reason that at times, the starter button would be unresponsive. The photos show corrosion on the copper inside of the switch.
This is somewhat of a mystery, as the bike is kept in an unheated garage, never out in the rain.
Anyway thanks to all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,170 Posts
It's worth shooting some dialectric or silicone grease into the new switch, that should stop it happening again.

·
Registered
211 Posts
That gunk in the switch...

Of course you see the mess in the switch directly... To me it almost looks like DOT4 fluid go in there and mucked up the works....

Darien

·
Registered
844 Posts
Riding, washing, etc. Oh, and you live where there is humidity and your bike is how old? When you are bored, remove your headlight and look around in there. You may be surprised at what you find (hopefully not).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Riding, washing, etc. Oh, and you live where there is humidity and your bike is how old? When you are bored, remove your headlight and look around in there. You may be surprised at what you find (hopefully not).
I'm located between a river and a cedar swamp.
Yes, humidity is usually present.
Oh well, a $20 part every 12 years is a small price to pay.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a Triumph part number, but it is listed at Bike Bandit as: Switch set, Clutch master cylinder.

Cost at Triumph Detroit was $19.77 plus shipping.

·
Registered
792 Posts
try the world of triumph web site for the parts they have a very simple parts locator with covrage of the whole triumph range i know its a uk site but atleast you know what parts to order good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts