Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2003 daytona 955i and it has under 1000 miles on it, i think i messed up my clutch trying to do a burn-out. when i give full throttle in any gears, it just revs up like im in nuetral and speed slowly catches up...me and my friends think clutch plates are just burnt and thinking about buying 10pcs clutch plates and just swap the clutch plates???
any comments on this problem(change the whole casket or change any other parts than just plates)

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Miami955J, Yep, they're fried. I doubt it'll be covered under warranty, but it's not a difficult repair. Keep track of the order of the plates. Get both the drive and driven plates if there's an option.

I won't get into the issue of break-in, which seems beneficial for Triumphs in general when the procedure is followed or the dynamics of doing a burn out which usually just gets a little tricky when heating the sides.

Brad

·
Registered
12 Posts
any comments on this problem

under a 1000 miles since 2003 + burnout mmmmm me thinks their *****, new plates for you sunny boy.

The fact the bike is a 2003 and it has only done a 1000 miles in three years most likely has something to do with it. I would check the whole bike for perishable items like fork seals... to make sure they have not cracked as stuff like that get hard and brittle and can brake easly from doing nothing over the years to then doing burn outs. I would also relube and replace fluids on all items Necessary

[ This message was edited by: Fab_Jsy on 2007-01-16 09:40 ]

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Did you acheive the burnout? Please try and practice with cold tyres on wet tarmac or even on a bit of loose stuff next time, Oh and dont do it on a bike of your own, get a class sorted out they work out cheaper. I learned to do it on loaners when my own bike was in for service or go get a test on an R1, but dont tell anyone I told you.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Should be pretty straight forward, new set of friction plates, springs should be OK with so few miles on the bike, you might want to replace the steel plates as well to be safe, since you fried the friction plates the steel plates might have overheated and warped. They're not too expensive and since you're already in there you might as well. You'll need to change the oil too.

good luck, how's that rear tire?

dc

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you buy the Acidic yellow one from House of Power? I was looking at that. Evidently, they found the crate out back and had forgotton what was in it :hammer: :wink: .
BTW, if you're wondering how this could happen, it's a huge dealership (all the major players plus Triumphs and watercraft, 4 wheelers, etc. They move a LOT of units).
Cheers, Lee S.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts