Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started to have a popping noise from the clutch/cable on my 70 T120R. There is mention in GABMA that clutch adjustment will cure this but I am curious as to what is actually making the popping noise. I cannot tell if it is in the cable or in the clutch itself. It pops when the clutch lever is pulled in.

·
Super Moderator
12,912 Posts
It could be the ball/ramp mechanism inside the tranny cover. When you pull on the lever, the cable pulls a plate up a ramp, rolling on 3 balls; in ordinary circumstances, it should never reach the top of the ramp before the clutch is completely disengaged. If it reaches the top of the ramp, you'll get a "pop" when the balls jump off the ridges onto the flat surface at the top of the ramp.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Ahhh. I had this on a '67, but my remedy depends on whether you have the early or late style fitment for your clutch lever, my problem was for the early spoke type, whereas yours should have the fork type lever, but things get changed about over time. I found that the holder that screws onto the spoke was at the bottom of the spoke threads and the holder that accepts the clutch cable was fouling the first few threads of the outer case. By adjusting the holder to be 3/4 way up the threads cured the problem. Took me a couple of hours to find the problem. Found it by trial and error. Removed the adjuster from the pressure plate, pushed a screwdriver onto the pushrod, and pulled in the lever, heard clicking noise from ball/ramp mechanism, so eliminated clutch side and went from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts