Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I am almost at the 30K mile mark on a 2012 Scrambler EFI and was planning a few tweaks, preventive rather than repairs and wanted your thoughts on clutch wear.

The bike's got the usual mods, TTP stage 2 map with free flowing 2:1...... i ride hard often pushing 7k revs. The clutch is doing just fine but at times feel if I go the green Barnett route it may bite a little better.

Since i am opening her up i was wondering if at 30K miles, i should consider changing the plates too.

I have heard both ends of the spectrum of folks who have reached the 70k miles before the plates were toast and those that say its 30k, so go ahead and change the plates.

Be great if you could reply back with, when and if your plates gave in or if you are running higher than 30k miles with typical riding style and any performance mods to get a better idea on the expected life of the clutch plates.

Cheers
Tom

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a 2015 Thruxton purchased new and recently installed Barnett green springs but I have to tell you when I opened her up the OEM springs in there sure looked green. I think Triumph updated the clutch springs somewhere in the EFI range bikes but I'm not sure when and that's just an educated guess. If I were you I'd go full on with plates and springs if you do anything....just my opinion.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have a 2015 Thruxton purchased new and recently installed Barnett green springs but I have to tell you when I opened her up the OEM springs in there sure looked green. I think Triumph updated the clutch springs somewhere in the EFI range bikes but I'm not sure when and that's just an educated guess. If I were you I'd go full on with plates and springs if you do anything....just my opinion.
I have a 2013 Thrux and yes the OEM springs have a faded light green strip on them. However, they lack the coil thickness of Barnetts and more coil turns as the Barnetts are shorter. I must say the shifts are noticeably crisper and snappier with Barnetts at the expense of a little more hand pull effort. Worth the swap any day of the week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Back 2-2, I hear you and that's usually my stance, but then the "what if" creeps in. I believe the plates at this point should only be half way down from what I have gathered thus far and so if the springs can give a bit more feel for the hot summer then it may just be the tipping point to open her up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 2013 Thrux and yes the OEM springs have a faded light green strip on them. However, they lack the coil thickness of Barnetts and more coil turns as the Barnetts are shorter. I must say the shifts are noticeably crisper and snappier with Barnetts at the expense of a little more hand pull effort. Worth the swap any day of the week.
Thank you this is super helpful. I think i will switch the springs when the oil change is due and will keep you all posted on the results once done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A quick update after the job

I managed to get the springs switched out the plates looked great, while i was in there dropped in a TTP safe start. In that same time i also changed out the fork oil with Maxima 10W & 15W on a 40:60 ratio, new drive chain and sprocket, tore out the old brake lines and replaced with braided lines and really cleaned out the calipers.

And the result is just fantastic..... Superb, it was worth all that time & effort as the bike runs even better now. The clutch pull is just a tad tighter but as someone said the gear changes are crisper. I feel like there is a bit more of the power low down and it just pulls better on hard acceleration.

Anyone on the fence about this, it’s an easy project that takes time with the fiddly things such as removing the old gasket and also putting the spring restrain back in without the tool while keeping the alignment.
Here are some images

Cheers
Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
It doesn't..... but if your clutch was slightly slipping and you installed new heavier clutch springs that eliminated the slipping it would most certainly pull heavier under hard acceleration.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The newer models have a slightly beefed up idler gear boss but the newer bikes can still have the starter kick back event that does the damage. I suppose a violent enough kick back event could break the stronger idler boss.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is the safe start necessary for such a late model? I could be mistaken but I thought it was an issue with earlier models.
I haven't heard of the new models having this trouble but as I feel this one's a keeper, thought would drop in the Safe Start as a reassurance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts