Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've noticed over the last month or so that my clutch only bites when the lever is almost fully out. It's not slipping under hard acceleration and I've recently fitted a new slave piston oil seal and changed the fluid, but I don't think anything’s wrong with the hydraulics. I'm just wondering if most of these clutches bite never the end of the lever travel and I never really noticed before?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's done 38K, but I've only had it since 30K and I don't know the history before that, so I guess it could still be the original clutch. I've got a gut feel that it's just worn.

Has anbody changed the plates & springs, I was thinking of putting the upgraded springs in whilst it's stripped down?

Any special tools needed to change the plates out?

cheers guys.

·
Registered
826 Posts
certainly no harm in putting new springs in while you have her stripped.
you wont need any special tools to replace the plates, but if you need to go any deeper you will need a clutch holding tool, but i see no immediate reason why you would need to on this occassion

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers, that makes it easy then :)

Anybody got any views re: Triumph clutch Vs. EBC kit ?
(the EBC kit is, from what I can make out, about 35% cheaper than Triumph originals).

·
Registered
826 Posts
ebc are a more than competent company, i would trust them.
plus: @ 35% cheaper, what does it matter iff they wear out a little quicker?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check the brass rivets on your jutter-plate while inside. Clutches, clutch baskets, engine oil, balancer cush rubber, etc. do not mix well with shards of brass. Do not ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tempted to ask, but I know the answer (I suspect), cheers, yes I'll have a good look around for anything dead that needs to come out...:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just a note to say the EBC clutch plates went in fine with no problems, The lever bites nice and early now.

One thing, ignore the manual when it comes to draining the oil, just park the bike on the side-stand which forces the oil in the sump to the gear-shift side of the engine, with no loss once the clutch cover has been removed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts