Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having problems removing the Clutch Hub Key way on my bike. I've tried using a penetrating catalyst, heat, and lots of prying (with various tools. I am on the verge of attempting to take it out with a dremel. Does anyone have any tips for removing keyways? Secondly, if I do go about removing my keyway with a dremel it will have to be replaced. I found a, "Clutch hub key" on raskcycles.com, items 37 - 42 under clutch parts. (sorry I could not get a direct link to this). It says the part number is 60-4253. Can anyone verify for me that this is the part i need to go about ordering, as I do not own a parts book.

Thank you,
Chad Miller

·
Registered
507 Posts
Key

Hi,
Presumably you mean removal of the key itself (not the keyway, which is a hole!)?
Have you tried just butting a screwdriver up to it and tapping it out?
Mark

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am having problems removing the Clutch Hub Key way on my bike. I've tried using a penetrating catalyst, heat, and lots of prying (with various tools. I am on the verge of attempting to take it out with a dremel. Does anyone have any tips for removing keyways? Secondly, if I do go about removing my keyway with a dremel it will have to be replaced. I found a, "Clutch hub key" on raskcycles.com, items 37 - 42 under clutch parts. (sorry I could not get a direct link to this). It says the part number is 60-4253. Can anyone verify for me that this is the part i need to go about ordering, as I do not own a parts book.

Thank you,
Chad Miller
Chad,

Boy there is always more to these things than you think.
Is it a half moon key? Just use a small punch on one end
and it will curl out.
Or a square cut key? Usually one can tap the end of the
key with a small punch and it will pop out as it reaches the
relief cut at the end of the key way.
Or finally the hardest of them all a half moon with two shoulders?
Use a skinny flat tip screwdriver to get under one of the
shoulders, tap and then you can get sometime under it to
pop it out.

As for the part, you can call Mitch Klemphf he is pretty good
about someone not having a part number, and order a parts
book while you have him on the phone.

507-374-2222

Pookybear

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears to be a half moon with at least one shoulder. I haven't worked at it much with a hammer and screw driver. I was worried that the play in the shaft could damage something. Thanks for the advice. I certainly prefer this method to ordering a new key. Yes, I ment key, not keyway. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts