Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is slipping or just not fully engaging in high gears. It probably isn't fully engaged in all gears, but it may be just more pronouced at high gears due to a lot more resistance to forward motion. My cable tension adjuster is loosened all the way in an effort to get the clutch fully engaged, but apparentally it still needs more adjustment. Any ideas what would cause this? My initial thought was the cable itself. I sure hope its not the clutch assembly itself...thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
How many miles are on the clutch and cable?

Did you try adjusting the cable at the clutch cover mount to give you more adjustment at the lever perch?

It could be that the cable is stretched, or it might be time for a clutch overhaul. Does the bike chatter when the symptoms occur, or do the rpms rise with no forward drive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are about 5000 miles on the entire bike. So I wouldn't think it would need an overhaul.

The cable shouldn't be stretched cause its doing the opposite symptoms than what a stretched cable would do. A stretched cable would keep the clutch atleast partially engage when you're trying to disengage it. My bike is not fully engaging.

It does not chatter, but it does rise in rpms with no forward thrust.

I have not tried to adjust it down by the clutch cover, I didn't know about it.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
There are about 5000 miles on the entire bike. So I wouldn't think it would need an overhaul.

The cable shouldn't be stretched cause its doing the opposite symptoms than what a stretched cable would do.

I have not tried to adjust it down by the clutch cover, I didn't know about it.
Sorry about that, I misread 'adjusted in' for 'adjusted out' and thought it was slipping once you pull the lever in.:goofy:

I'd say it's either going to be the lower cable adjustment (hopefully) or there may be something wrong in the lifter arm assembly (where the cable connects to the clutch cover). I can't think of anything I've heard of causing the symptoms at such low mileage.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I believe it is. It's very straight forward; you loosen the two lock nuts on the cable and move the cable in the bracket to where you get more adjustment at the perch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, you're right. Its pretty straight forward. Funny thing, I did it and then I rode it to make sure, and it got better. So when I came back to adjust it some more, the silver adjuster on top somehow got crossthreaded from the tension of the cable and just tore that up.

So I'm pretty sure the adjustment fixed my problem. But I guess I won't really know for sure untill I get my new adjuster and adjust assembly.

Regardless, thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts