Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my TBS doesn't shift smoothly when cold and it's getting worst and worst...gets better when warmed up tho...bike currently has about 19K miles...is it time for new clutch?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Have you checked your oil level? When is the last time you changed the oil?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
when was the last time you changed the clutch fluid too?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
yeth, it might be the cluth

Sorry, couldn't resist:D

Have you switched riding boots lately, or changed your grips? Both could affect your shifting, and as you ride and your body adjusts, the shifting might seem better, which would lead you to believe that it is the bike warming up that is the factor. Also, if you have done any work on the bike that might have affected the clutch cable, I would doublecheck that for binding or lubrication needs. As the others have already said, an oil and filter change may yield noticeable improvement (after running Royal Purple and Mobil 1, I switched to Amsoil, and my bike shifts much more smoothly now).

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Clutch

my TBS doesn't shift smoothly when cold and it's getting worst and worst...gets better when warmed up tho...bike currently has about 19K miles...is it time for new clutch?
Firstly, try bleeding the hydraulic system and at the same time 'squeeze' out all the old fluid so as to obtain full travel onto the clutch operating rod. Do this according to a workshop manual (Haynes etc)

Also prior to starting in cold weather, select 1st gear, pull in clutch lever and rock bike backwards and forwards. This has the effect of 'breaking' the joint between the clutch plates and allowing the gearbox mainshaft and engine crankshaft to separate drive when pulling the clutch lever in. Clutch should last for many, many more miles providing that you are changing the engine oil regularly with a good product.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A maladjusted or worn chain causes crappy shifting.
Hey Jim, I've never heard that, and am thinking about it? Since the clutch effectively disconnects the engine from the front sprocket, I don't understand how the chain condition could affect the shifting at the moment of actual gear movement when the clutch is pressed. I could see that a worn chain might make the bike buck or stutter a bit upon the clutch being engaged and then released by causing the rpms of the front sprocket to be erratic. Once the clutch is depressed, aren't the engine rpms and drive train rpms out of sync immediately? Is it, then, the unevenness of the drive train revolutions that causes the problem?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
A loose or worn chain would give the feel of crappy shifting, because you'd get a lurch when the sprocket puts tension on a loose chain.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
Hey Jim, I've never heard that, and am thinking about it? Since the clutch effectively disconnects the engine from the front sprocket, I don't understand how the chain condition could affect the shifting at the moment of actual gear movement when the clutch is pressed. I could see that a worn chain might make the bike buck or stutter a bit upon the clutch being engaged and then released by causing the rpms of the front sprocket to be erratic. Once the clutch is depressed, aren't the engine rpms and drive train rpms out of sync immediately? Is it, then, the unevenness of the drive train revolutions that causes the problem?

Loosen your chain and try it.

Jim

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Loosen your chain and try it.

Jim
There's no need to be snotty. I wasn't questioning the accuracy of your information, only trying to understand the why of it. I have learned alot from this forum, and much of it from your posts. Your replies are usually thorough and informative, and your follow up clarifications equally so. Sorry I caught you on a bad day.:confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do change oil frequently...
i'll try changing clutch fluid and chains first...
thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
"There's no need to be snotty."
I really don't think Jimmy was being snotty, rather he probably couldn't cite all the reasons a loose/worn chain would cause sloppy shifting.
I know from my experience that it does though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts