Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been riding an 09 street triple for 10 years until it was stolen at the airport. Bought a new Speed Triple S six weeks ago and after the first service I started to give it a twist.

At first I thought the traction control was cutting in to keep the front wheel grounded... but when a Toyota Prius took off in front of me at the lights I turned all that fancy gear off and realised that the gears were not transferring all that engine noise to the rear wheel because the clutch is slipping.

Brand new bike... this should not be happening.

Gaz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m an architect with soft delicate hands made for etchings.... I might put air in the tyres.
The only other people who touch my bikes work at the Triumph dealership, so I hope they used the oil I paid for.

Car oil or any anti-friction additive in?

·
Registered
495 Posts
This may be as simple as needing the clutch to be adjusted.
Yes, check the adjustment at the clutch lever, it will show you how in the manual, it's quite simple even for delicate hands:laugh2:
Although really speaking this should have been checked at the service.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha... Yeah, I suppose it could have been be that easy on the face of it, but its a new bike. I don't want to void the warranty.... Initially, I tried twisting the notched thingy near the lever. It was really tight (possibly the cause of the problem) and I didn't want to force it. I managed to twist the human intervention dial thingy to number 4... But it yielded no benefit.

On my last bike I did replace the clutch lever one time. That time I parked on some soft bitumen and my love fell over. Never again on soft bitumen in the hot Australian sun. I suppose I could have attempted some clutch lever maintenance with a squirt of WD40 and some Mr Sheen, like a real biker. The bike has been at the Dealership for five days now and I suppose they thought to try adjusting the clutch or else it will be costing triumph's underwriter a packet! Maybe the dealer has been too busy with Speedy claims to test ride it? I was going to get a new Street Triple RS.

:)

Gazza

·
Registered
495 Posts
I will always suggest checking simple things before taking the bike to a dealer even if it's under warranty, not because in any way that makes you a "real biker" but because it can save you a lot of messing about in the long run, you've been without your bike for 5 days already and I bet they haven't even looked at it yet, it would only take an hour to remove the clutch even if it was that serious:frown2:
Hope you get the bike back soon to enjoy your summer:crying:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Haha... Yeah, I suppose it could have been be that easy on the face of it, but its a new bike. I don't want to void the warranty.... Initially, I tried twisting the notched thingy near the lever.
Astonishing how dealers (bike and car) nurture this fear culture of 'not wanting to void the warranty'. All that was suggested was a slight adjustment of the knurled clutch adjuster screw provided so the user has some means of setting the free play as is recommended in the owners handbook.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts