Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experienced a concern where the clutch lever at the lower LH side of the engine comes loose internally, like a spring fell off. My son dropped the Rocket and broke the clutch lever off at the handlebar and I was trying to removing the cable to replace the lever when this happened. There was a lot of tension before I removed the cable and now it just seems like it is loose and the clutch does not disengage.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
855 Posts
The lifter shaft probably became disingaged from the lifter piece. There is a way to reset the preload without removing the engine case, however I am not sure how to. Member sidecarflip, does though. I'll check with him.

And in case you are wondering the clutch cover on the engine case is just a cover for a dampner, it doesn't allow access to the clutch. The radiator has to be removed and the front engine case has to be taken off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help Pig9r, I'll remove the front cover and see if I can place the lifter shaft and piece back together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
..it happened to me when I put on the Rivco risers, because I had the clutch cable disconnected..here's how sidecarflip told me to fix it..and I quote..

It's easy. You didn't loose the pre-load. You lost the spring load. It's not pre-loaded, it's spring loaded. You took off the crank arm on the front of the motor by the water pump housing. You need to pre-load the crank arm by removing the cable clevis, loosening the pinch bolt and removing the crank arm and placing it on the shaft at 6:00 o'clock and then pulling it up to 3:00 o'clock. That pre-loads the lifter arm inside the housing. You lost the pre-load when you removed the arm. It only moves 1/8" so when you took it off, you probably never saw it move. I'd mark it after you re-set it with a prick punch so if you ever take it off again, you have reference mark.
..in your case, maybe you just need to rotate the crank arm back up some what and hold it in that position while you hook up the other end?..give it a try before you take anything else apart..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bud, I will try that before taking anything apart. I have been very busy (changing jobs) and have not had a chance to do much to the Rocket. I appreciate your help.
ag2300

1 - 5 of 5 Posts