Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new to this stuff, and I just want to say Thanks to everyone on here for helping me get the confidence and know-how to start turning wrenches and whatnot.
I took my primary apart and realized that my clutch was pretty much shot. So I completely disassembled and am in the process of rebuilding.
I took apart the clutch center and it seems the previous owner may have changed a few things. The small holes in the clutch center are not threaded, only the outer cover contained threads through which three bolts passed all the way from the inner plate .Said bolt was then peaned at the outer cover to hold it in place, i assume. My parts book shows a bolt from each cover towards the center. Also, other pics ive seen have a flathead countersunk screw from each side. When I removed the bolt, the peaned end stripped the threads in the cover. If anyone can set me straight, I'd appreciate it. I think I could use a new center anyway as this one is showing some wear and I already replaced pretty much everything else in there. But, I'd just like to know how it SHOULD be fastened together.Also, what's up with the rubbers in there? My new ones seem to almost be impossible to install.thanks in advance, and i hope this makes sense to someone.oh ya, it's a 76 t140v.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
While you've got it apart, take some pics of the inside surfaces of both the front and back cover plates on the clutch hub. If those are scored, you'll new ones of those, too.

My clutch hub on my 500 was shot. After an hour of searching through the used bins at the shop for non-screwed pieces, I opted for a whole new clutch hub.

Take your time and you'll be fine.

here's a picture of my first clutch job... :D :D

I get frustrated easily. :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I took apart the clutch center and it seems the previous owner may have changed a few things. The small holes in the clutch center are not threaded, only the outer cover contained threads through which three bolts passed all the way from the inner plate .Said bolt was then peaned at the outer cover to hold it in place, i assume. My parts book shows a bolt from each cover towards the center. Also, other pics ive seen have a flathead countersunk screw from each side. When I removed the bolt, the peaned end stripped the threads in the cover. If anyone can set me straight, I'd appreciate it. I think I could use a new center anyway as this one is showing some wear and I already replaced pretty much everything else in there. But, I'd just like to know how it SHOULD be fastened together
I've also got a 76 T140v although mines been fitted with a TR7 head and my clutch centre was the same as your's. It turns out that the later bikes had the centres fitted this way and as I've also got other parts of my bike that are from the 80's that explains mine. I've got one of the CD's that lists nearly all the parts books and confirmed it from that. You needed to grind the peaned area off before removing the bolt, so you may have to replace part of the centre now mate.
John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies everyone. i guess ill just repalce everything. you can see in the pics that the bolts arent really peaned , so much as they have a slot grinded (ground?)in them causing a mushrooming type of thing.you can also see what they pulled out with them.this is the way they went through the center. just wanted to make sure that they were atleast the proper bolts, and that the outer cover was the only part that was threaded, etc...
thanks .

you guys are great!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll post some pics of the insides tonight after work. i noticed that they are slightly worn by running my finger over them.

PS-one of my favourite albums! i could tell by the way you used your middle finger that youre into punk rock. ha ha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
clutch centre

just been reading up on all the posts ,here's what I did to fix my clutch.spin the outer plate over and redrill and tap 3 new holes for the bolts making sure that the 3 large holes are in line with the rear plate clutch spring bolt holes .hope this helps ,then when new bolts are fitted loctite them in and make sure you peen them over

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
You know, in the revolving Black Flag vocalist deal, I always liked Keith Morris best. That first 7" just owned it.

BTW, my drummer named his daughter Kira. I don't think he told his wife where he got the idea for the name. :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Definitely not original stuff.
Maybe you should take a better look . That is definitely original stuff.

That makes me wonder about a lot of answers that you have given
over the last few years and you miss one this simple .I have overhauled many
clutch shock absorbers and that IS original for a T140.
Lutz

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my war on my clutch

Well, I tried to take some pics of the inside. my camera batteries died, then i dropped my laptop on the adaptor, so thats out for a while too. the bike has 13000 miles on it.I was told that everything was mostly original, and i dont think anything major had been done to it previously. although i really have no way of knowing for sure. other than the fact that the previous owner seemed to have used an adjustable wrench on every nut he touched, and none of the internal parts seemed rounded/chewed/stripped in any way. either way, the inner cover is definitely worn where the spider (Ive heard it called this?)rubbed against it.and the outer needs at the very least new threads. I should have known to grind the ends before taking them out, i just kinda got excited to see inside or something. Im like a little kid sometimes.

As i said in a previous post, I might as well replace eveything thats questionable. I dont really want to take my primary apart any time too soon if i can avoid it. This has been a learning experience , which is exactly what I expected when I bought the bike. cant thank everyone enough! I'm just waiting on parts now. and my paycheck to come to me.this stuff ain't cheap, yo.

as for black flag, I think keith morris was definitely great, and the most punk rock of all of them, but I kind of got into the slower , weirder stuff later on too. also, the circle jerks group sex lp rules.Rollins is well...rollins, but Damaged is classic . its a good thing your drummer didnt name his girl Henry. take care.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts