Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies, if this has been discussed previously, but has anyone had problems with the clutch cable on the new T Bird? I have done 4500kms and it is frayed already.

To top it off, the cable has to be ordered(no one keeps anything in stock) so I expect my bike to be off the road for at least two weeks.

Not impressed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My apologies, if this has been discussed previously, but has anyone had problems with the clutch cable on the new T Bird? I have done 4500kms and it is frayed already.

To top it off, the cable has to be ordered(no one keeps anything in stock) so I expect my bike to be off the road for at least two weeks.

Not impressed.
good luck, i ordered one and they told me 6-8 weeks:mad:
what a joke and they wonder why we go and buy parts over seas

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd like to order one - anyone know of somewhere other than the dealership?
I bought my spare clutch cable from Bike Bandit.However,the price is the same as ya pay at the stealerships,plus shipping.But atleast ya get it and in a reasonable amount of time.I think I waited 10 days or something before mine finally arrived via UPS.So now ya have another option.

I bought the spare cable shortly after I got the machine because I could see how it would wear from so much usage.And even though I haven't had a problem with fraying in the 25,000 miles I've driven it,after reading the problems many seem to be havin,I now carry it on board,just in case.However, I lube it on a regular basis which might be the reason I have NOT had a problem with it.So there's alittle maintenance that ya might wanna do atleast once a month to prevent the problem. Dave!!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
What are you using to lube it?
I put a drop of regular motor oil [or ya could use alittle CRC Power lube in a spray can, available at any hardware or auto parts store] on the exposed part of the handle bar clutch cable, a drop of oil on the little round piece on the end of the cable that fits into the little round slot in the clutch lever,a drop of oil of oil on the clutch lever pivot bolt that holds the lever on to the handle bar end piece,and also a drop of oil on that same little round piece on the other end of the cable where it fits into the clutch cover pivot lever on the lower left side of the motor.Like in the old Brylcreme comercial "A little dab will do ya" lol I do it every month and haven't had any problem.Plus,when on that little maintenance schedule,if there is any tell tale sign of a fraying cable,ya should see it and can address it accordingly before ya have a problem with it when on the road.lol.I look at it this way,by doin this simple maintenance every month,I might just prevent the embarassment of bein stuck on the side of the road a million miles from home.lol Wouldn't you agree??? lol Dave!!!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I bought some cable dri-slide which is a dry moly lubricant for cables. I was using lube-it-8 on my Harley cables but have had several people rave about dri-slide so I'm going to try that. I know they say don't lube teflon coated cables, but I am famous for over doing everything. I too will just shoot some in the cable opening every week and several weeks later it will work it's way down the cable.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cp=6&gs_id=m&xhr=t&q=dri+slide&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=909&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=11578103089392375659&sa=X&ei=NE2LTuP1E_SNsAK4uN3RBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQ8wIwAg

Oh yeah...I have never broken a cable in 4 motorcycles yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cable has frayed right where it goes into the nipple, in the clutch lever. Seems more like a manufacturing fault to me.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The cable has frayed right where it goes into the nipple, in the clutch lever. Seems more like a manufacturing fault to me.
Mine did exactly the same thing after 6500 miles. I had to pay as Triumph refused to replace under warranty and the dealer wasn't inclined to argue with them, but I intend to pursue it further. Either it's a fault cable or there is something wrong with the lever design that puts too much strain on the cable.

Seems that Triumph think that 2000 miles is a good enough mileage to prove there is nothing wrong with the cable :mad:

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I'll bet it is a lube issue and the friction tears at the cable strands. I'll be pushing some moly grease inside that fitting on mine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll bet it is a lube issue and the friction tears at the cable strands. I'll be pushing some moly grease inside that fitting on mine.
Even if it was friction, it should last a lot longer than 5 months. I've never had a cable go so quick as this before. If the friction tears at the cable strands so badly that it snaps so soon it must be a design flaw.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Even if it was friction, it should last a lot longer than 5 months. I've never had a cable go so quick as this before. If the friction tears at the cable strands so badly that it snaps so soon it must be a design flaw.
Yeah, probably the machine that attaches that end onto the cable strands, but my bike is brand new and I checked mine and it is bone dry where that thing locks into the lever. I packed some moly grease in there with a toothpick and lubed the end of the cable and it does pull a bit easier. When the dri-slide I ordered shows up I will lube the rest of the cable as well. I have never had cables that I didn't lubricate on any bike.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've had my SE for 15 months now and driven it over 25,000 miles and my clutch cable is still good.BUT!!! I also starting lubing it as soon as I got the bike and continue to do so every month.So the answer may be,if ya lube it frequently,it won't fray.Dave!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ibbero - where is your cable fraying specifically? How did you find/notice the problem?
The cable is fraying at the barrel end. I noticed it when the clutch wasn't as smooth as normal. Also it was difficult to engage neutral when parking.

The new cable has now been fitted under warranty and is sweet as a nut.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts