Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought my bike in for the 10k service, and the tech adjusted my clutch cable.

To his credit, I noticed the adjuster stopper rattling around a few thousand KM ago, which meant I was likely a bit out of spec but after the adjustment it seems the friction zone starts at the very last half inch of lever travel. I told the service writer and he came out to check it and said it's fine. But it really feels wrong and is making riding incredibly difficult, I find myself revving way to high by the time I reach the fiction zone.

Is this a simple case of getting used to it (as the service writer seemd to suggest) or should I loosen it a little?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Adjust it to your liking, it's not that critical. Just make sure it's not still engaging the clutch when the lever is released. Pretty simple..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,730 Posts
There are two adjustments to the clutch lever: The "reach" described on page 32 of the owner's manual and the free-play on page 71. No technician is needed really, that's why they put it on the owners book.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isn't concerning the reach, it's the free play. I noticed the free play before was much greater than the thickness of a quarter (which is the ballpark I've seen being refered to, and used on my previous bikes) but it felt right and the bike never creeped in gear.

Now the free play is about the thickness of two quarters but the friction zone is way late in the lever travel. In fact when i was taking off from the shop at first I thought I forgot to put it in gear, then when I realized I was in gear I thought my transmission was busted. It just revved and I didn't feel any friction until the lever was pretty much at rest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts