Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok, so I dropped the bike. I was going slow and making a u-turn. Chalk it up to inexperience.

I broke the clutch handle and the peg on the shift lever. I also replaced the shift lever since the peg broke off and it could not be extracted. All were easy to replace.

The problem is adjusting the clutch. I cannot get it set right. Can anyone help out? Where should the adjuster at the handle be set to start with? Should I start this adjustment at the lower end of the clutch cable?

Since I have replaced parts at both ends of the cable, I think I need the new clutch cable instructions.

Help!

oh yea, 2009 Bonnie SE.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
it's easier and more straightforward to adjust the clutch cable at the engine cover than at the lever.

loosen the 2 nuts that hold it tight, pull the cable tight by hand, back off a bit, then tighten the 2 nuts. Should be good.

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
I do the same as Sweat: Make the major adjustment at the bottom and use the top for fine-tuning.

Turn the top all the way in, adjust at the bottom to leave a small amount of slack, then take out most of the slack at the top until you have just a few mm of free movement at the handle. You should wind up with the top turned in to within a few mm of all the way in, but with enough room either way to make minor adjustments when needed.

After you do this once of twice, you'll get a feel for it. Get a cable luber and a can of cable lube and squirt some oil in there once or twice a year. You'll have to release the cable at both ends to do that task, which gives you the opportunity to do the major adjustment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts