Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went and took the 01' triple for a test ride yesterday. it got to 45F outside so it was beautiful! The bike rode great and I had a blast on it. I don't know how you can keep this thing under 80mph!! The only trouble I have with the bike is when I'm going to start the bike up. Kickstand down, neutral selected, clutch in, and I hit the start button. Fires up after 2 seconds but the second I start to bring the bike off the kickstand and completely vertical, the neutral light flickers and then the bike kills. I have to keep fidling with the shifter to get it to stay in neutral correctly. I think it took me 5 trys before I was finally able to put the kickstand up and into gear without it killing. It's also very hard to find neutral. The clutch pull feels pretty loose so I'm thinking I just need to have it adjusted. The front brake is also a little loose.

So, do you guys think a clutch adjustment will fix the neutral problem? Also, how much do you think it would cost to have the bike looked over at a dealer and have the clutch and front brake adjusted?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I think Limey is right, or partially right. It may need a clutch adjustment too, but that's a 2 minute job you should be able to do yourself if you are planning on owning this bike. I think it needs a new side stand kill switch, and/or possibly a neutral safety switch. Neither are expensive.

Oh, and you don't "Adjust" the front brake on these things. If there's trouble with the front brake that probably indicates more serious problems such as corroded caliper pistons or a bad master cylinder. If it's just a loose lever there's little you can do about that short of buying a new lever (invest in aftermarket "Pazos" to solve this)

In any case, there's no reason to start this thing with the kick-stand down. Neutral or in gear, clutch in, and press the starter. Should start every time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I've never worked on bikes before. I've worked on cars all my life though so it shouldn't be too hard. The front brake just doesn't seem really firm. It pulls loosly at first and then grabs right away. I'm going to take it to the triumph dealership and have them just look it over. Make sure there's no problems that I'm not seeing at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts