Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
l have a big problem, l cannot unscrew the two cross head bolts on the top cover of the fluid reserviors on my Sport. l have tried all the usual methods, WD40 , impact driver, some heat ( remember they are painted) and no luck. l do not want to risk tearing them up , so heres th question, can you pump fluid up the pipes and into the reservoirs .l know that there are pumps that push fluid into the system fom the caliper nipple when you cannot get fliud through by pumping the levers as you normally do. Anyone tried this or is it worth a try.
l suppose as a last resort i could drill a small hole in the cover and syringe fluid in then plug the hole. Not a good selling feature though, not that ever l plan to sell her .

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have had this problem on many bikes. Drill the top of the screws off with a 6mm drill bit. When it spins, stop. Then clean off the swarf, lift the lid, and you'll find you can unscrew the thread with your fingers or on a really tight one, used a small flat bladed screwdriver to get it moving.

Rob

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe a very big soldering iron, applied directly to the screw head?

I have a butane-powered soldering iron that makes a very tiny flame, which is perfect for heating just the screw in question.

You do have to worry about the rubber gasket underneath...

Sounds like these screws need anti-seize. I'll remember that next time I open mine up.

·
Registered
980 Posts
An impact driver will normally remove them, if not drill them out as Rob suggests. The original screws are made of cheese, best to replace them with some stainless steel screws.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts