Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 1200 trophy is clunking hard into first gear from neutral. It has even choked it off a couple of times. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Hi, NC,
Does this happen all the time, or just when you first start it up after it has sat for a while? If it's on the first start-up, pull in the clutch while the bike's in neutral and rev it a couple of times to "clear the clutch".

Hope that's all it is: Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Its usually a lot worse when it has been sitting for a while. Its not as bad after riding several miles. I will try holding in the clutch and reving it up. Is this a normal thing or should I get it it checked?
Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine does it from time to time. Normally when it was sat for awhile, I just pump the clutch a couple times before I first tick it into 1st. You could have a leaking clutch cylinder or me low on fluid. I seriously doubt that though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 1200 trophy is clunking hard into first gear from neutral. It has even choked it off a couple of times. Has anyone else had this problem?
Fairly normal behaviour. One way to help is to put the bike into 1st before starting, then start it (obviously with clutch fully squeezed, side-stand up and foot brake on). The starter motor will free the clutch as it starts.

If you then want it to idle to warm up, put it into neutral. When you engage 1st again, it will be a lot less of a clunk.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, for the info guys. You made me feel a lot better about my bike.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am glad your bike is well.
Have you ever changed the fluid in your clutch system? Put this on your to-do list for a rainy Saturday while drinking a beer. You will be amazed at how bad the old fluid looks.
Mark

·
Registered
74 Posts
Cluncky 1st? Mine too!!

I Bought my '95 with 6k ...clunky then.... I've got 18k still cluncky she runs cool and cluncks , she runs warm no clunck...not only did our British friends master the art of fluid containment in vehicles they learned to read micrometers before the thermal expansion/contraction classes started . If it weren't for the "bloody colonies" they may all have been lampshades or at least speaking GERMAN!!
Downshifting at a light when cold often means feathering the clutch and standing on the gear selector at the same time....at least we don't miss 2nd as my old HONDA did!!! VIVA LA HINCKLEY!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.