Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 TBS, with factory bars and risers.

I want lower bars. I'm used to riding my Sprint ST without risers.

What is the concensus here? Clubman bars? Clip ons? Drag bar with shorter risers? I like the look of the clubmans on the T-bird.
I was also wondering how much difference there is in the geometry of the triple tree of the t-bird or Legend compared to the TBS. I like the look of the Top clamp better on the T-bird and Legend, but it's not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I looked at it last night. I rode it into work this morning. I am going to flip the handlebar this weekend. It will lower the grips, and it's free:D
At least that will give me a start to see what I want to do.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I flipped the bar today.
That looks awesome. It really get's me down over the front of the bike.
But, the angles are all wrong. I can clear the tank, but the bars are too straight down low, and really mess with the wrists and the shoulders. I guess I'll try clubman bars next. A Drag bar will also be an alternative. I found some Laverda Jota bars for a decent price, but they are still expensive. I'm going to play with the inexpensive options first.

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
You should be able to pickup a clubman bar for less than thirty bucks, and if the 'normal' install puts the grips too low (similar to straight clipons), just flip it over, and it's like clipons with risers. I've done this on a couple of bikes, works well.

:cool:

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started checking around for bars. I have a list of vendors that I usually check for prices before I go outside the "list".
Bingo!
Iron Pony in Ohio shows the chrome Clubmans for $18.99, so I ordered it and a chrome drag bar for $17.99. That should be a good start, and the price is cheap. I've gotten several things from Iron Pony at closeout prices. It's nice to find a bargain.

I'll get some pics when I get the new bars on.
I do have to say, even though the angles are all wrong on flipping the factory bar, it looks really cool, and the stance makes the bike feel like a hooligan bike! I can't really express how much I enjoy the feel of the bike stretched out on her like that. Hopefully it will get more comfortable with the right bars. And if not, the drag bar should do the trick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Clubmans!

I have a 1998 yellow TBS. I have had clubmans on my bike for about five years now. they work well, I have full motion from lock to lock. They make the bike seem cleaner and more period. I use black bar-end mirrors with the rubber stopper type mounting. I filled the handlebars with zinc coated BB's to cut the vibration so the rubber stoppers are needed to seal the ends. I have tried lots of different configurations (stock bars, flipped stock bars, "superbike" bars, flipped superbike bars) in the fourteen years I have owned the bike but I have not tried clip-ons. The clubmans are exactly what I wanted. I tried bar-ends with a metal expanding thing inside but that became really hard to remove when I wanted to switch. The grips are yellow ProGrip, available at just about every bike shop. I get complements on my bike almost every time I ride.

I took this photo tonight to show the setup. Sorry about the cluttered background, my garage is a wreck. I also used a disposable camera...

Oh, I forgot; I'm 6'2" so the Looong reach to the bars is not a problem for me. It might be a deal-breaker for a shorter rider.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Thunderbum. That's a great pic, in that is shows how the bars sit. Kind of what I'm looking for. I'm 6 foot tall, but kind of short in the legs and tall in the waist and arms, so I think I should be fine with that set-up. The angle on those also looks like it will relieve the pressure on my wrists and shoulders that I now feel with the stock bars flipped.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Clubmans

Well, the benefit of clubmans vs. clipons is that clubmans lower your bar height and move them forward without bringing the grips together. Now that I know that you're a tall guy I'd say that it's the best option for you. I know that the extra space made my riding position more comfortable. I have to reach more to get to the bars but I can put my butt against my solo seat hump or tuck in against the tank and either way is comfortable. The flexibility with the clubmans lets me move around the cockpit and prevent sore spots on long rides. It also looks cool. But shorter riders might feel the reach to the clubmans a bit too much. Or a lot too much. Really I think that clubmans on a TBS is a good idea for taller riders. Shorter riders should stick with the stock bars or clip ons. I also think that the wider bar offered by the clubmans Vs. clipons results in better control.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clubman pictures

I promised them, so here they are.
I like the feel of the Clubmans. They aren't too aggressive. I don't feel like I'm supporting myself on them. It's a nice reach, and the bike feels sportier, and it just feels like a better fit for me. I had rotated them farther forward at first, but the clutch MC was too close to the trip odometer reset, and I was resting on the bars a little. I had a ton of room between the switch pods and the tank. So I rotated them back, quite a bit, and I have clearance all the way around, and the position feels relatively relaxed. This position feels like it would work for longer rides, and maybe even traveling. They look ok here, too.

And I apologise for the bugs and the broken lever. She's a bit of a raggamuffin....

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
You've got me thinking again. I have a set of those clubmans up in the shed for a year and never tried them. Think the reach might be a little far as i am only five-ten.
I opted to stay with the original bars but changed out my risers for the shorter Thunderbird ones.
Any issues using the original cables with the clubmans?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I've got a set that I've had for years after my Honder lit up in flames. I always thought the look of Twin clusters with clubmans looked odd, but I never had such a big bike behind them before...

Saturday chore!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have clearance all round. Had to fiddle around a bit but the only thing is that it makes it a wee bit tricky to get at the adjustments for the suspension up top. No big deal.
Always thought the original risers were too high.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice job

Well, I've been at sea (I work on a submarine) but now that I'm back, I have to say, Nice job. It looks like you got what you were after. I like mine rotated a bit more aft but it's all about you. And from the pictures your ragamuffin looks pretty clean. Mine has brown/gold/blue pipes almost down to the crankcase. Not to mention some serious corrosion and paint issues. (Submarines live near the sea, so there's lots of salt) Happy riding!

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I'm using Norman Hyde M-bars and like them a lot, but I like changing things up on my Legend. I'm thinking about getting a set of clamp on bars, but I don't remember what size I need. Is it 43 mm?

Kem

ImageUploadedByMO Free1350946111.272624.jpg

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm using Norman Hyde M-bars and like them a lot, but I like changing things up on my Legend. I'm thinking about getting a set of clamp on bars, but I don't remember what size I need. Is it 43 mm?

Kem

View attachment 56188
Yes, 43mm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is an old thread but it shows up in Google search ('clip ons vs clubman') so I figured I'd post my mod. I installed the Dime City Cycles 'Speed' Clubman bar. You can read all about it at: http://bonniecafe.com/bonnie-mod-1-changing-the-stock-handlebar-to-a-dcc-dropbar/

Joker Machine is sending me a pair of clip ons to test. I'll probably install them in January and will update this post with my feedback.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I know it is a few months old, but I like the look of the clubmans. I think this is what I need. Can they be mounted both normally and up-side-down?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts