Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm thinking of installing some ace bars to finish of my restoration and have a question!!

What is everyone out there doing in regards to mounting ace bars on Triumphs??
I'm imagining the p-clamps wont go around the bend?? Is there another clamping alternative out there rather than the standard triumph p clamp set ups???

Many thanks in advance!!

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
Option 1: Open up the clamps to get them over the sharp bend (or just force them over the pipe)

Option 2: cut the bars in half, slip on the clamps, weld the bars back together

Option 3: different 2-piece bar clamps from just about any bike that has bolt-on bar risers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Maybe McQueen can chime in? I think that he heated his p-clamps with a torch to open them up enough for clubmans? I decided to opt for Hyde m-bars dropped down low. No mods. needed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Val,
The new Thruxton Triumph has single split-type risers that look like they might fit.
Not sure if the new bikes have 7/8" bars though.
I think it would be pretty cool to retrofit new parts on our old bikes.
You would want to retain the metalastic bushings though.
VYBR8!
:cool:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you are absolutely married to clubmans, then heat the P-clamps with a torch and carefully pry them open just wide enough to get over the center loop of the clubmans. I did it. It's a snap.

Or if you're nervous around open flames, get yourself some clip-ons. Remove the front wheel. Loosen up the trees. Slide each fork tube down so you can slip the clip-ons in there. Button everything back up. Of course, you'll need to get some aftermarket headlight ears as the stock ones are not clip-on-friendly. I did this also.

Or as JAX said above, opt for some Norman Hyde M bars. I have M bars on all my bikes. Love them. They give you a good stance with the stock peg location or even rearsets. Much more comfortable than clip-ons or clubmans but still aggressive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts