Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
955i ST, about 12k miles on the clock
i get a clonking noise as i let out the clutch and pull away in 1st. you can also feel it through the pegs, it doesnt do it in other gears, only happens when i slow to a stop using engine braking, so ive got a bit of play in my drive train somewhere.
i thought it was the chain so ive just done a chain/sprocket change, its all new and adjusted properly but still clonks.

any ideas? do the cush drive rubbers go this early?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Have you checked the rear wheel bearings?They are known to wear out fairly quickly.

:???:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Dave,

A low probability item is the rear brake calipers. They should have very slight forward/rearward play in them allowed by a pin in a slot. But I think there have been a few reports of something going awry and the calipers having way too much movement. Admittedly, this doesn't correlate with the clonk occurring only after engine braking - OTOH, if this occurs only when you don't use the rear brake, maybe there is a correlation.

Bern

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has the rear wheel become loose on the centre, try loosening the centre nut and re-torque. I experienced exactly this once, just one clonk as you take up the drive. It may help to clean the cone and wheel seat in case there is a trace of grease. Best of luck

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help fellas,
wheel/hub bearings fine
brake caliper fine
chain/sprocks fine

with a mate on the ground and me pulling away next to him to trace the noise we came up with two possibles;
1/ the chain was slightly baggy (pilot error) and slapping the underside of the swingarm, easily remedied but not today, so watch this space,
2/ the cush drive maybe slightly loose, in 1st gear with the bike on the ground and the rear brake on hard, i brought the clutch in as hard as i could without stalling and there was some play in the cush, perhaps 1/2", i dont know how much play there should be but thats less then some bikes ive had, can anyone tell me? its not sloppy, i cant move the hub around against the brake by hand

i will let you know tomorrow what effect the chain tightening had :???:

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
davsato,
or if it's not that you may have accidently hopped on a Ducati by mistake and that would explain all the loud noises! :-D :-D :-D

Sorry mate I couldn't resist that.

Seriously I hope it is a minor issue you can fix easily and cheaply good luck.

Davem :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no it doesnt sound like a cupful of bolts in the engine, its just a "clonk"!

no, its not the chain i adjusted it a bit tighter and its definately not that.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Dave,

My '03 has been doing the same thing. I haven't had any luck trying to determine the source.

The only thing I can think of is a faulty chain, but I would assume I would have some other indications.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pushrod,
ive just changed my chain and sprockets thinking the noise was that, but its still there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
davsato,
I've had a clunking noise just after taking off from a stop. It drove me nuts not knowing what it was. Turned out to be the inside seam of my boot catching the edge of the foot peg as I would take off from a stop. The peg would fold up, then clunk back down before I put my foot on it. OK, I know it sounds dumb, but go out to the bike, fold the peg up and let it snap back. It's worth a try!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i thought it could be that, so i tried a few take offs without touching the pegs and it still made the noise!

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Hi,

You've checked the cush rubbers, but you might want to see how much play there is in the drive train.

Put it on the centre stand, select first (engine off!!) and rotate the rear from one extreme of free movement to the other ie before you start trying to turn the engine over with the wheel.

It would be useful if several of us could do this to give a comparison. I'll see if I can have a go at mine this morning!

Rexx

·
Registered
499 Posts
Rexx,

That's about what my '02/14,000 mile ST has. Most of the play on mine is in the transmission. The chain contributes only about 1/4 inch of the total play. Cush contribution seemed negligible.

Bern

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i will check mine at the weekend Rexx, ive ordered a new set of cush rubbers and ive got an 18t sprocket to go on the front (17t was too thirsty, good performance though!) and i was going to change the lot on saturday so watch this space. i can also give you a comparison between old and new cush rubbers, asuming mine have gone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, i changed my cush rubbers and the old ones were perfectly ok, measuring exactly the same as the new ones. i put the new ones in just in case but theyve made no difference, at least ive got a spare set now!
my free play is about an inch, i can just move the cush plate by hand.
ive put the 18t sprocket on the front, and ive got my engine braking back with a little more "go" than before. dont know why triumph put a 19t from the RS in there, it was very tiring riding the clutch round town. the 17t was superb fun but i couldnt live with 30mpg!!
the clonk is still there, i will re torque the rear wheel sometime soon, in the meantime everyone have a good christmas
:-D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts