Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new bike, I love the way it looks but the 08's and belows clip-ons are really what I want. I have heard that the handlebars on the 08's and below are smaller diameter so you would have to bring over all the controls as well.
The position of the 2009 is super comfortable, but i bought the bike for fun and driving around the canyons. I want clip-ons, tell me oh wise ones what I have to do, and who wants to trade in So-Cal?
Me

·
Registered
196 Posts
Clip-ons

Thruxtonsoon

Try sourcing a set of Tommaselli clipons with the correct bar diameter or some another brand. Living in the States you have a better selection of aftermarket choices.

Chris

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about doing the same thing, but with some higher-than-stock clip ons. But after taking a ride on my bike again, I realized that these bars are perfect. They are low enough for aggressive rides, yet still comfortable enough for a few hundred miles at a clip. I am going to add CRG mirrors though, since the stock Napoleons are just too big looking.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
When carbed Thruxtons came out with only clip-ons people removed them and put on bars. Now that the EFI Thruxtons come out with bars, people want clips-ons. There must be a lot of clip-ons sitting around people's garages. I have a huge box full of the EOM parts that I have kept "just in case I ever want to return my Thruxton to her original state". No doubt that time will never happen....

·
Registered
430 Posts
When carbed Thruxtons came out with only clip-ons people removed them and put on bars. Now that the EFI Thruxtons come out with bars, people want clips-ons. There must be a lot of clip-ons sitting around people's garages. I have a huge box full of the EOM parts that I have kept "just in case I ever want to return my Thruxton to her original state". No doubt that time will never happen....
My collection of "removed OEM parts" was taking up so much space, that I moved the stuff in labeled boxes to the attic. That is when you realize just how much you have changed. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a set of clip-ons and top yoke for sale in the Classifieds. ;)

It's easier to adapt 1" controls to 7/8" bars than the other-way-around. To go down to smaller bars, you just need a few wraps of friction tape (a.k.a., the stuff hockey players use on the blades of their sticks) on that section of the bars.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
If you want lower, I'd bet those low NH bars would be just the ticket. What are they Ace bars?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now.......

So I found a guy (phillipv88) with an 08 who wants to switch. Looking at my bike, I would probably have to switch:
Triple tree
handlebars
master cylinder?
controls?
Anyone have an 08 and 09 sitting next to each other to take a look?
I like the fact that i'll be able to put the gauges under the triple tree and rock out with the clip ons.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
So I found a guy (phillipv88) with an 08 who wants to switch. Looking at my bike, I would probably have to switch:
Triple tree
handlebars
master cylinder?
controls?
Anyone have an 08 and 09 sitting next to each other to take a look?
I like the fact that i'll be able to put the gauges under the triple tree and rock out with the clip ons.
Figure on all of the above, plus brake hose and headlight mounts...you need room for the clip ons below the top tree.

Have you thought about the differences between the EFI throttle and the carbs cable arrangement? Dunno if these are even interchangeable...

Good luck! Let us know the outcome.

Cheers,

--Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts