Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a thought.

im looking at a new 08, that has clip ons and carbs, but if the deal falls through (its the only 'new' 08 ive seen around) whats involved in converting the new 2009 with the newish m-bar arrangement, back to a clip on set up.

thinking it might be prohibitive, and id be best off hunting down a second hand 08 thrux, but thought id ask the question. EFI doesnt put me off as much as the bars on the new ones.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you can find someone that has removed their clip-ons for a std. bar conversion, You would be able to get everything you need from them other than the headlight mounts.

·
Registered
430 Posts
just a thought.

im looking at a new 08, that has clip ons and carbs, but if the deal falls through (its the only 'new' 08 ive seen around) whats involved in converting the new 2009 with the newish m-bar arrangement, back to a clip on set up.

thinking it might be prohibitive, and id be best off hunting down a second hand 08 thrux, but thought id ask the question. EFI doesnt put me off as much as the bars on the new ones.
Not positive, but I think that the M bar is a 1 inch diameter unit, and the earlier clip ons are 7/8 inch diameter. All switchs, lever mounts, grips, nirrors etc would probably require changing if the bar/clip on diameters are different.

Could be very expensive.

Also, the lever mounts are intergrated into the switch housings on 09's, but separate on earlier years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts