Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last few rides I have noticed an annoying clicking nose from the front end at slow (40mph<) speeds with gental breaking, so I assume it's something to do with the front braks.

There is no pulsing though the lever.

If I move the front disk sideways when stationary it makes the same sort of clicking noise so it could be the mounting hardware.

Is this anything to worry about and cant I fix it without new disks ?

I would have taken it to my dealer today but they have recently changed to Aprilia and have gone all Italian with there opening hours and are now shut on a Monday !

Thanks

·
Registered
409 Posts
I had a funny noise from the front end last summer, it sounded like small stones hitting the radiator or front end of the bike.

I worried about it but could not find the cause, I attributed it to the pipes cooling or some such.
It stopped once summer finished so it remains a mystery.

How loud / strong are the clicks?

·
Registered
63 Posts
speed triple has floating front disks, maybe some of the hardware attaching the disk braking surface to the hub is lose and as the disk flexes under braking the metal rubs and you hear a click... under heavy braking the loads are probably high enough that nothing shifts.

but that is a long shot from someone with more mountain bike disk brake experience than motorcycle. I know when things aren't tight on my mountain bike (also has hydraulic disk brakes) i'll get a sharp clicking.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do a search, i think i remember reading this exact same thing happening to someone else before, think it was the headstock bearings came loose.
I saw that thread but it's not exactly what I'm experiencing, I gave the front end as good a shake as I can without a stand and there doesnt seem to be any movement.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
speed triple has floating front disks, maybe some of the hardware attaching the disk braking surface to the hub is lose and as the disk flexes under braking the metal rubs and you hear a click... under heavy braking the loads are probably high enough that nothing shifts.

but that is a long shot from someone with more mountain bike disk brake experience than motorcycle. I know when things aren't tight on my mountain bike (also has hydraulic disk brakes) i'll get a sharp clicking.
Thats my current working theory, but i cant see how you can adjust (if at all) those conneting disk thingies (nice and technical description)

The clicks are loud enough to notice and annoy me (but then again I'm a bit easily annoyed by odd noises.. my old Lotus Elise was a right pain in the summer as the rear suspension would creak like mad and annoy the hell out of me) but they dont seem to affect the bike in any real way.

It could just be that odd thing called summer ! Though we did just have a hail storm ???

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've experienced this on and off for a few years and have always been told it's nothing to worry about. It usually reoccurs after a new front tyre has been fitted until the pads and callipers have settled down again. It's a little annoying and doesn't sound very nice but it does muffle the sound of my chain when filtering through traffic ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
it is unfortunate that this is a brake issue, normally a metalic click like that i just take the mating parts apart, add grease and tighten back up, normally that takes care of everything. i don't think you should put grease anywhere close to your brakes though.

:eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've experienced this on and off for a few years and have always been told it's nothing to worry about. It usually reoccurs after a new front tyre has been fitted until the pads and callipers have settled down again. It's a little annoying and doesn't sound very nice but it does muffle the sound of my chain when filtering through traffic ;)
Thanks for that... was worrying the sound of "new disks & pads" was going to be coming my way !

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
clicking

Hi jaz, just a thought, it is probably a touch of wear inthe caliper where the edge of pad sits this causes the pad to drop back slightly and when the brake is applied it will move forward a midgies and strike the caliper making a click sound.
As a quick check apply the brake fully and rock the bike back and forth whilst looking and listening to the pads in caliper they will soon give them selves away if it is the problem.
Apart from noise a little wear is OK, but if the wear is bad enough to make a deep groove the pad/s may stick.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hey Jaz, it may pay to have a close inspection of your rotors.

My bike was doing this exact same thing with my original calipers. One caliper was working unevenly, putting excessive sideways pressure on the rotor. Closer inspection of the rotor showed a loose bobbin with the spring behind it missing. I was able to get the rotor repaired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts