Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd put this out there before I tear anything apart...

After installing my new front brakes I've noticed there is a clicking noise coming from the calipers when riding. This seems to be fairly constant and not just when I apply the brake, although it does stop momentarily when I apply them.

They work great but this clicking is annoying the hell out of me. Anything strange going on with the brakes makes me nervous.

Anyone had this before??? They're Alcons.

Cheers, Gav.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If you didn`t have the clicking before fitting your new pads then get the pads out and start again from scratch.

Also carefully check your discs for and rust build up an cracks as this can also cause a clicking sound.

Cheers, Matt :cool:

·
Registered
575 Posts
if all your torque specs are close on all the bolts, then there's nuthin' to worry about. That's just the beautiful sounds of pads not being utilized to their full potential. They're either chatterin' from a light initial introduction, or heating air out of the air pockets of the drilled rotors realized somewhere around the 20-35% level of breaking threshold. :D

You might want to polish the pad locator pins though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Ive swapped the pads over and also polished the retaining pins and it seems to have stopped the noise so thanks for the input chaps.

I know this sounds trivial but I'm still learning:)

Cheers,

Gav

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Gav, I'm still learning as well! It's the little ones like this that build the confidence for the big ones. 2 weeks ago, I pulled my RS up onto my back patio, pulled off the seat, loosened the bodywork, pulled the tank, airbox, and cam cover and measured the valve clearances. I left it overnight, then put it back together the next day. I barely looked at the book at all; mostly to see what they recommended pulling apart to get to the cam cover and, more importantly, to check the tightening order and torque specs for the cam cover bolts.

My point there is not to brag, but to say that what you've just done is not really trivial. If you had told me 5 years ago that I would do my valve clearance checks so nonchalantly, I would have said you were crazy (and asked what a valve is and why it needs checking).

If I'm not making sense, it's because it's way past my bedtime. Congrats on getting it fixed.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear what you're saying Kit.

My Dad was an agricultural mechanic and I used to watch him working on stuff that I thought was wizardry. When I asked him how he knew how to do all this stuff he used to say to me, 'Well, you don't know until you do it'. Back then I thought he was just being nice but now I realise it's true.

Never underestimate this forum...it can be like a surrogate Dad:)

Cheers,

Gav

1 - 6 of 6 Posts