Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come across clear lenses for speedmasters or americas?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I've been looking as well and haven't come up with anything yet.

I was told that it'll probably be necessary to swap out the entire signal to something that a clear or smoked lens will fit onto. I'd like to think that something's possible though.

Harley cup-style lenses don't fit, the diameter is too large. Suzuki and Kawasaki cruisers use a similar style but I haven't checked sizing. You can get clears or smokes for those bikes easy enough.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I looked forever and finally bought a set of signals from Phat Performance for my speedmaster. they carry Chris products which makes the signals i used and also clear lenses for them. however note you have to buy the lenses separately because the signals gone with red and amber but not clear. But they\'re only $2 each for the lenses. also note that in most states as far as i know, Ca for sure, you cannot have clear turn signal lights, so with clear lenses you must have amber bulbs. But it looks bad having amber bulbs under a clear lens. So i used bulbs that have a metallic look till they light up at which time they glow amber. i got the bulbs on ebay tho i see Phat performance now seems to carry those too.

Signals: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CP-8504

Lenses: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CP-DEUCE-LENSES

bulbs: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CB-1157

I can\'t recall what i had to do to install them, but there is a bit of imagination required as i recall. But they are about as close to bolt on as you\'ll find. Oh, and there are extentions you\'ll likely need for the rears because the stock ones don\'t work, and they\'re too long anyways. (most people don\'t want them sticking way out like the stock rear signals do) The ones in the kit are too short so you have to buy the extended oneswhich if i recall are these...

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DS-280252-2

I made my own after realizing i should have ordered them and didn\'t want to wait.

Anyways, to anyone who mis good with good mechanical things you\'ll have no problems. to those who aren\'t, i wouldn\'t recommend them because like i said it\'s as close to a bolt on affiar as you\'ll find, but still theres work to be done. the fronts bolt right on perfectly tho as tho they\'re made for the speedy, but i had to cut the wires and solder them and cover with heat shrink.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, I've used those metallic bulbs before - I like them. I'm going to work on finding some lenses to fit my stock signals, seeing as I just spent all that time modifying the stems.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yeah man, I'd like clear lenses on my black Thruxton. The amber look cartoonish. Someone posted an outfit once that had just about any kind if lens you could eant, but this was a few years ago and I cannot recall the name.
By all means, if you hit the mother lode of lenses, let us know!
Oh, some guy on another site dyed his amber lenses a darker, smpkey color using RIT dye, I think. Heated up the dye in an old pot and soaked them for a while. Looked pretty good.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Thanks for the info, I've used those metallic bulbs before - I like them. I'm going to work on finding some lenses to fit my stock signals, seeing as I just spent all that time modifying the stems.
You can try, but i gotta tell ya i spent months before i gave up. I even went to bike shops including a huge one called barts mega mall that has almost every brand of bike and looked to see if any bikes had clear lenses that would fit....yeah, i was desperite ! I love clear so much better. The only other option i can see is to try and make some, but because the bulb sticks out past the rim of the metal it has to be a cup shape, not just flat plastic. So it's a losing battle unless they have something since i was looking 2-3 years ago.

·
Registered
675 Posts
.....Oh, some guy on another site dyed his amber lenses a darker, smpkey color using RIT dye, I think. Heated up the dye in an old pot and soaked them for a while. Looked pretty good.
I've tinted lights before. Usually, I add a little black to regular automotive clearcoat and spray on a couple of coats. They come out nice and shiny and once they're cured, they wear like normal clearcoat so they can be washed/waxed/etc. Also good thing is that other chemicals won't wash it off like some other tints out there.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm . . . maybe I'll make my own if there's nothing out there that fits. I think I could make a mold and cast these with pourable acrylic.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I've tinted lights before. Usually, I add a little black to regular automotive clearcoat and spray on a couple of coats. They come out nice and shiny and once they're cured, they wear like normal clearcoat so they can be washed/waxed/etc. Also good thing is that other chemicals won't wash it off like some other tints out there.

Could you spray them on the INSIDE and not need the clearcoat ? Might try that.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
^^ That works well on clear lenses but not that well on coloured. It is useful for making the light appear a different colour when illuminated, ie, blue tint on the inside make a red lens appear purple when lit.

I wonder if the new thunderbird clear lenses would fit ???

Nope. Doesn't look like.

·
Banned
268 Posts
I have clear lenses on my 05 America , got them on UK EBay from "classic " something ,sorry parts or spares it was ,they are "Lucas"repo indicator lenses , you have
elongate the hole a couple of mil

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Was the vendor called "Classic Bits"?

Do you remember specifically which model # the lenses were?

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yup, it appears the Lucas L760 lamps will fit our bikes with a modification of the screw holes. Even better, these are available in real glass!!!

·
Banned
268 Posts
Those lenses come in RED,CLEAR,AMBER
They were used on mini moke and land rover and other Morris things
how would you go fixing the holes in the class ones , might be tricky

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Those lenses come in RED,CLEAR,AMBER
They were used on mini moke and land rover and other Morris things
how would you go fixing the holes in the class ones , might be tricky
Carbide or diamond burr would do it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I too went with the Lucas lens (Red). I had put on the Signal Minder and wanted to use the running light option with the turn signals but Ohio (USA) does not like Ambers that are constantly on.
Found them on E-Bay. The holes were just a tad off. Nothing a small Dremel adjustment could not fix. Looks good with all red in back plus all on and all work as brake lights. Wayne

1 - 18 of 18 Posts