Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions for cleaning the 09 R?
damp cloth and dust brush?
i can't imagine spraying anything on the finish that wouldn't mottle it.

thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd guess you wash it as you would wash gloss, just don't apply pollish unless you want a shine :) I've had no problems with the matt paint on the KTM.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've pondered this myself many a night. I have an 08 S3 in matt. The dealer suggested windex which I thoight was a daft idea. I have been using Mequiars Quik Detailer for the last 4 months. It seems to do the trick. I am open to suggestions myself.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I have an 08 S3 in matt. The dealer suggested windex which I thought was a daft idea.
Actually, you might be surprised. Many dealers use the non-ammonia version of Windex for quick detailing.

I have no experience with it on matt finishes myself, but it is a decent cleaner on regular paint, metal, plastic, etc.

·
Registered
973 Posts
As far as i know the matte finish is product of the clearcoat. That is i believe the clearcoat is providing the matte look. Dare i say it. HD has lots of matte finishes. I would maybe ask a HD dealership what they use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm off with a mate to a Harley dealer tomorrow ( he's collecting some new springs ) on my way to my friendly Triumph dealer. Whilst I'm there I may as well ask if they have any recommendations for matt finishes. At least that will give me something to do whilst I am waiting. Will let you know if they have any suggestions - just don't hold your breath, they seem pretty useless in that shop so I'd be surprised if they could help, other than by selling me a HD and let's be honest that's not really HELPING is it ? :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
OK so as expected the HD dealer wasn't terribly helpful. He showed me a spray bottle of some HD general cleaner. The packaging kept banging on about producing a gloss finish which I don't think we need on our matt graphite so I politely declined. Strangely he did say that I shouldn't use normal wax polish, which seems to be totally at odds with the advice on the Ducati forum ( see previous post ).

So now I am totally confused. In theory, if the matt finish is achieved by a mottled clearcoat over the paint, polishing it with wax should not make it shiny, merely give it a nice protective coating, which is surely what we all want. So on that basis the "Ducati solution" may be the way to go.

Does anybody know for sure, that polishing the matt finish with normal polish will not turn our bikes excessively shiny ?
It would be nice to get a layer of protection on top of the paintwork, just to reduce the likelihood of minor scratches and reduce the negative effects of exposure to the elements.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, personally, I would apply a coat of wax regardless.

I'll be picking my Matte Orange St3R in March :SadSigh: :Dang: :err: and I don't think I'd mind a small bit of gloss on that thing :p

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well my instinct is to wax the bike very sparingly ( maybe only once or twice a year just to make sure that I don't build up too many layers of shiny wax on the surface of the clear coat ).

What will be strange however is that the matt finish currently feels matt ( i.e. slightly rough to the touch ) and obviously after waxing it is going to feel smooooooooth. So that may seem a bit odd.

I hope we can keep this thread going, I would like to hear which approaches other Street R owners are going to plump for. I'm currently leaning towards the limited use of normal wax polish though.
In the absence of any particular advice in the R supplement to the Street handbook, I don't think Triumph expects us to treat our paint any differently to any other paintwork.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Cleaning/protecting matte paint on R?

What have you tried, what works?

Was told from previous Ducati owner don't wax, too tough to buff out.
Another Ducati owner recommends lemon pledge! :huh:

greg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know if you have this in the UK but a lot of car enthusiasts here use Johnson's Baby Shampoo I think mostly because it has a neutral PH and is very mild.

I'm going to use it when I get my Street Triple R and see how it goes. My Ford XR8 also smells like a baby's bottom when it's had a wash :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was on the Meguiars forum a looking for an answer to the same question.

There was a recommendation to use the Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer.

It protects and repels dirt/water but does not give a glossy shine to your matte paint. I haven't tried it yet but it's not expensive so might be worth a try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was on a Brit site today and some of those guys are using Turtle wax Ice liquid. They say it does not change the look of the finish but does make water bead up and makes it easier to clean. I may have to try this.

Under200

1 - 20 of 38 Posts