Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boys- I need your help again!

My 99 Adventurer was running very poorly on acceleration (between 2-4000 rpm) and I I read that clogged pilot jets are a likely culprit. The bike has 34,000 miles on the clock, and so I went down the line. New plugs helped, but I still had the flat spot when I took off. So, after reading a bunch of forums, I carefully dismantled my first carb.
Here's my question- for both the pilot jet and main jet, the forums I saw said to screw the both jets all the way in to begin with, and then note how many turns it takes to get them in. Logically, this would indicate how many turns I would need turn them out when I finished cleaning them. My jets were seized at first, but once they began turning it seemed as though they were already screwed in all the way. Is this normal?

If anyone has some solid step-by-step instructions on how to do this, (for a Triumph triple) I would really appreciate it!

-Josh

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Josh, I think you are confusing the (non-adjust, screw up tight) main & pilot jets inside the float bowl with the (adjustable) pilot screws just forward & outside the float bowl. The latter on US models are blocked off with blanking plugs which many folks (carefully) drill & pull out. It's then recommended that these uncovered screws are set 2 1/2 turns out from fully in to improve low revs/idle mixture.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it lives!

Mike-

It's reassembled and running now, but at very rough, uneven idle. Below 1500 rpm it stalls. If I turn the throttle at all, the instability gets worse. This was not the case before I took apart the carbs... any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The pilot jets have to be scrubbed thru' emersed in fuel with something (soft) like copper wire to ensure they are clean. Good opportunity to check float levels while you're there too. Also very important to re-balance with gauges afterwards - idle is very sensitive to balance. (Centre is master, balance outers to this.)

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
BTW, there's no need to disconnect the throttle cable - you can slide them out to the side (left Mikunis, right Keihins) & set them down on something. Saves lot of time.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
also-
You were right about my confusion of the carb jets- call it beginner's ignorance...
Easy mistake, guy who never made a mistake never made anything...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestion with the throttle cable-

I'm going to try a couple things here, and then I'll let you know...

-Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts