Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and scoured the archives for info on this topic but my conscience remains curious...

If you recently inherited a '76 T140, as I have, that had a powder coated frame (done about 2 yrs ago) and had been running up until about 18 months ago, would you go hip deep (or deeper) to clean the OIF reservoir?

There is still some oil in the tank but I have yet to drop the "pan" and do a full survey. I guess I'm waiting to pull the whole thing apart after I see what the experienced consensus is and what is recommended as SOP after adopting an unknown OIF'r.

Thanks,

Jake

·
Super Moderator
13,265 Posts
Set up a large turkey roasting pan below the open sump and then squirt some gasoline or solvent through the oil filler neck, shooting it up toward the front of the bike.

I use Agitene bio-d solvent, with a spray wand connected to an air compessor (compressed air sucks the solvent out of the can from a tube).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WHEW! I was hoping that would be a sufficient process and sounds very similar to what I was envisioning.

Any suggestions on where to find/source Agitene Bio-D?

Thanks!

Jake

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Jake, and welcome to the Forum!. Do you know the history behind your bike?? I'd recommend you read the Sticky on sludge traps....

Cheers, MM

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mastiff-Man,

I'm about to go through the full history of her in a few and send a link to a picassa album of her current state and a few "inspiration" bikes.

You read my mind with the sludge trap statement. Right now, I'm just trying to get everything off of the old girl, bag and tag and organize her bits so that I can start over from the ground up.

Jake

1 - 6 of 6 Posts