Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If anyone in the USA is concerned (like I was 馃槈 ) about starting up motorcycle with lights permanently on.
OEM right hand switches set with turn off the lights option.
New part number T2040128 (msrp around 150$)
Used available on epay in UK (You need to search for trophy, Tiger or sprint right switch, they are asking for around 50$ with shipping to US) .
Easy installation (plug and play) if they are looking like one from attached picture (doesn鈥檛 matter if they got white or black plug)

Will fit
Thunderbird, TBS, Adventurer, Legend.

There is only one problem: after installation you need to remember to turn on your lights. 馃槃

Besties guys.

Attachments

Registered
Yes, thanks...I had assumed these were no longer available as I had heard the UK and Europe now mandate "always on".

I'm a big believer in being able to turn off the headlight during startup on a cold morning, on a trip in the middle of nowhere, with the battery anywhere over a year old. Especially on these bikes with that pesky sprag thingy.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Good info, I like the "Old School" way of doing things...........
馃檪
With little rewiring that switch set is a great solution for someone who wants to add fog lights or any other additional lights, without cutting holes or putting brackets and mounting any additional, unoriginal waterproof switches somewhere.

Premium Member
It would be pretty simple to rig a relay that shuts the lights off while the starter button is pressed.

Ebay has dozens of new, cheap Chinese switches that incorporate headlight switches, on the order of $15-20 for both sides. Not sure if they're worth that much, or not, but...

Why do I see so many hex codes in this thread?

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ebay has dozens of new, cheap Chinese switches that incorporate headlight switches, on the order of $15-20 for both sides. Not sure if they're worth that much, or not, but...
Yeah I know, but friend of mine burned down his HD because of Chinese electrical elements and almost set on fire his bosses shop. 馃槥 But anyway at least they were cheaper...

Premium Member
Easy is relative

It would be pretty simple to rig a relay that shuts the lights off while the starter button is pressed.
I checked out one how-to thread, and didn't understand enough of what was described to chance it.

For those of us bandwidth-impaired folks, someone mentioned that toggling the kill switch to off before turning the key on will help safe the ignition switch. Not as good as turning the headlamp off, but it's a start.

I've also installed LED headlight and taillights to further decrease the draw.

Premium Member
The plug for the US lighting has two jumper wires in it that permanently turn the lights on. All you need is a double pole, double throw relay, or a double pole normally closed relay. Interrupt the two jumpers and use the relay to reconnect them when the relay is not energized. Run a wire from the starter switch to the relay coil and from the other side of the coil to ground. Now, when you press the starter button it energizes the relay which breaks the connections to the lights.

Registered

Why do I see so many hex codes in this thread?
The America and Speedmasters (don't know.about any of the other newer models) have this already. You might want to use thier relay.

As for the Apple thing...I'm "allergic" to Apple products. ;) ...J.D.

Registered
Found one

Browsing Fleabay today I found one in England priced right, around 50 bucks shipped across the Big Pond. Even has the throttle sleeve included. Although I am almost 70 I am still pretty alert, shouldn't be a problem remembering to turn the headlight on. Damn I hope I posting to correct thread, on the correct site......

Premium Member
OK, I'll bite

If you don't mind trying to dumb it down a bit more...

The plug for the US lighting has two jumper wires in it that permanently turn the lights on.
OK. I remember those from when I installed the LED light.

All you need is a double pole, double throw relay, or a double pole normally closed relay.
Can you be a little more specific. I checked ebay and amazon, both of which offer a dizzying array of amperages and terminals. Even the 2 pole ones seem to have 6 or 8 terminals. It'll be a booger to fit in the headlamp housing, so I'd guess smaller is better.
I'd hesitate to use the one suggested from the Bonneville American or Speedmaster unless someone has seen it and knows it's the correct one.

Interrupt the two jumpers
Does that mean unplug?

and use the relay to reconnect them when the relay is not energized.
Does that mean plug them into the relay before completing the next step? Does it matter which terminals in the relay (coil?) they are plugged in to?

Run a wire from the starter switch
Assuming the starter switch (do you mean the button?) has a "hot" and "ground" side, does it matter which side I start the wire from?

to the relay coil and from the other side of the coil to ground
Does it matter which of the relay terminals to use?

No worries if this is too much to break down. As I've mentioned before, I have more enthusiasm than skill.

Premium Member
If you don't mind trying to dumb it down a bit more...
I will, but it's going to take some time.

"Interrupt" means "cut".

Does it matter which of the relay terminals to use?
Yes!

After I wrote the initial response I considered putting together a kit to do this. Maybe that's still a good idea. What do you all think? I could also make it suitable to be controlled by a switch rather than just the starter. It might even be able to offload the lighting from the ignition switch completely.

Registered
If you are going to connect a relay as a cutout so your headlight is off when the starter is cranking you will need a relay with a n/c contact. That means the contact to the lights is closed (lights on) when the relay is NOT activated, and open (lights off) when the starter is operating. A different way to go about this is to have a relay with a n/o (normally open) contact feeding the headlight curcuit and have the control curcuit run off the ignition coil curcuit. You need a small solid state timer for this setup that delays the lights on until after the engine starts. I use a system like this on my Sprint for an accessory plug for a heated vest, but it could be applied to a headlight curcuit instead. ...J.D.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts