Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought you Scramblerophiles might enjoy seeing this beauty that I spotted on the Bainbridge Island - Seattle ferry this morning. Interesting that the pipes are on the other side on modern bikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Thanks, Britrich. Yeah, all the old highpipe TR6s had the pipes on the left side. There was a debate about the location of the pipes on the new Scrambler when it came out. Many thought placing the pipes on the right or the "garage side" was so they could be appreciated more while sitting on the kickstand, or from the side of the road when you rode by. There could have been a more complicated engineering reason, the chain is on the opposite side from the classic Triumphs too. While I think my Scram is quite purdy, there's no denying the sparse, athletic good looks of the old bikes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice photos of an old classic, Britrich.

I bet it sounded great when he kicked that old twin to life on the car deck of the ferry!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Only reason I can think of is maybe they put the pipes on the left side because the kick starter was on the right?

Of course, most of the Japanese scramblers from the late 60's/ early 70's had the pipe on the right. Very few on the left. Maybe Triumph was just trying to be "different."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice photos of an old classic, Britrich.

I bet it sounded great when he kicked that old twin to life on the car deck of the ferry!
I couldn't tell you, he was surrounded by HD riders revving up their open pipes :mad: I can use my imagination though:)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I recall reading that the pipes on the modern Scrambler are placed on the right to prevent them cooking the electrics situated under the left side cover.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks, Britrich. Yeah, all the old highpipe TR6s had the pipes on the left side. There was a debate about the location of the pipes on the new Scrambler when it came out. Many thought placing the pipes on the right or the "garage side" was so they could be appreciated more while sitting on the kickstand, or from the side of the road when you rode by. There could have been a more complicated engineering reason, the chain is on the opposite side from the classic Triumphs too. While I think my Scram is quite purdy, there's no denying the sparse, athletic good looks of the old bikes.
That could be right about the road side for the pipes but that would only work for the US market as the UK & Aust. ride on the left.

Not sure how many know about the Triumph Scrambler forum over at
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616

Nothing but scramblers & lots of photos.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That could be right about the road side for the pipes but that would only work for the US market as the UK & Aust. ride on the left.

Not sure how many know about the Triumph Scrambler forum over at
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141616

Nothing but scramblers & lots of photos.
That is a T100C, not a TR6C. It's a pretty rare bike, as the 500's were much less popular than the 650cc twins. And yes, the kickstarter on the right mandated pipes on the left side.

Dick

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this weird or what? Today, in exactly the same spot on the ferry that the Scrambler was parked yesterday there was a beautiful white and gold Bonnie. What are the chances of that? I think I must have discovered a Triumph time portal. Can't wait to see what's parked there tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had thought the same thing but this guy was definitely different from the Scrambler rider. Perhaps they're related......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts