Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Great story. I have a sudden desire to put a camping stove in the tailbag and brew up some tea on the next ride.

·
Premium Member
20,738 Posts
Great photos with lots of period charm. Not a helmet to be seen either. Rather large panniers but necessary to carry all that tea...

Surprising how much real freedom they enjoyed in those days, witness the Triumph advert proclaming "The best motorcycle in the world". Nowadays the authorities would come down on that statement like a ton of bricks, waving the Advertising Standards rule book.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you all enjoyed it. Certainly was more laid back in those days. I think they were very adventurous to travel that far on machines that were perhaps less reliable than bikes today. I'm British but I still found the pictures very British if you know what mean!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great photos with lots of period charm. Not a helmet to be seen either. Rather large panniers but necessary to carry all that tea...

Surprising how much real freedom they enjoyed in those days, witness the Triumph advert proclaming "The best motorcycle in the world". Nowadays the authorities would come down on that statement like a ton of bricks, waving the Advertising Standards rule book.
We British have always loved tea, nothing's changed there !!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
What an enjoyable collection of pictures and accompanying text from 1953. I enjoyed each and every one!! Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
182 Posts
hi there
thanks for posting this i really enjoyed the pickies and the line about the old fella borrowing the bike and hitting 160 kmh !!
cheers

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Thanks for posting the link. I really enjoyed reading that, and the photos were fantastic. I was alive but not yet born when that trip took place, if that makes sense.

Good British chaps, stopping for a brew every half hour! Loved the story about when he was reunited with the SS100. Proper stuff.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts