Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Jeremy Clarkson is having trouble getting out of the spotlight at the moment. Even the PM is disapproving of vocalising his opinions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-02/anger-over-clarkson-shoot-protesters-comment/3707922
Being a Colonist, I take everthing Jeremy says with a large grain of salt. I love his show even when he dismisses American Iron as total crap. He just says it for ratings. He does own a Ford GT40 after all. Those who take anything he says seriously is daft. Most of the time he is really funny and I just dismiss his "if it isn't British it's crap attitude" as ratings related.

·
Premium Member
7,029 Posts
I'm glad I live in a country where you're allowed to spout your opinion without worrying about the government prosecuting you for it, like they can in Canada if you don't toe the multi cultural line.
what? The Canadians are going to prosecute Clarkson? Good thing too 'cause the poms are clearly too weak willed!

According to the article, the Prime Minister of the British government when asked about the Clarkson comment (no doubt in a very stern and threatening voice) said "it was a silly thing to say, I'm sure he didn't mean it".

Clarkson is no doubt very chastened by such a severe bollocking by the head of the government and won't ever do it again.

The union said they would be getting "urgent" legal advice to see if they can take action against him. Which is double talk for "how dare you say that you jumped up pillock you'll be sorry!".

Obviously we can expect no legal action from them...

Glad Canada has the bollocks to go for him.

Not sure what they are going to charge him with...making a total Clarkson of himself? Supplying jokes to people not licensed to understand sarcasm? (is that an offence in Canada? if not why not?)

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
He's an idiot, he talks a lot of ********, but at the end of the day, he's funny, so he gets away with it. There have been times I've been amazed at what's come out of his mouth, and the stuff he gets away with, but I've never found him less than entertaining. And I AM a Union man, and I was out on the picket lines on Wednesday (even though my union wasn't on strike...).

Pretty much every time he opens his mouth, someone tries to sue him. But I'd rather my TV license money goes to his legal team than to another dreary sporting event...

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I'm glad I live in a country where you're allowed to spout your opinion without worrying about the government prosecuting you for it, like they can in Canada if you don't toe the multi cultural line.
Please explain?

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If anyone listened to the whole clip of what he actually said, they would find that he was actually taking the p*** out of the BBC and political correctness, not the strikers and that the only one to take offense, including the strikers, would be those that wanted to be offended.
Having praised the strikers for ensuring a day when there were no queues at airport and he could get a table at his favourite restaurant because no one was in town etc. He went on to say that as he was on the BBC, he was required to be impartial and give the opposite view so he said that the strikers should also be shot.
Just typical Clarkson.
Also he is rude about every nation inc England, not just the US.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Exactly, and the media make a living out of deliberately taking comments out of context and ringing every last drop of publicity out of them.

Media=fantasy.

Some days I think everybody should be shot, or sent to Siberia. Funny though, I never seem to get lambasted by the media :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
He certainly likes paying out on us Aussies, but he's a big fan of our Monaro. I've never felt insulted by him, but I don't yearn for the next episode of Top Gear either.

·
Registered
10,256 Posts
He has no business talking about shooting people on a public forum, joke or not. That's bar stool talk.

If it weren't for unions, we'd all be working for minimum wage and no benefits.

·
Banned
73 Posts
If anyone listened to the whole clip of what he actually said, they would find that he was actually taking the p*** out of the BBC and political correctness, not the strikers and that the only one to take offense, including the strikers, would be those that wanted to be offended.
Having praised the strikers for ensuring a day when there were no queues at airport and he could get a table at his favourite restaurant because no one was in town etc. He went on to say that as he was on the BBC, he was required to be impartial and give the opposite view so he said that the strikers should also be shot.
Just typical Clarkson.
I think you've summed him up, he says things to get the attention, and we in England are so swamped with the P.C.brigade most everything is scrutinised,and taken out of context,by humour-less prats,we're virtually told what we should laugh at..

My message to 'them', is---ffs---lighten up.:cool:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
He has no business talking about shooting people on a public forum, joke or not. That's bar stool talk.

If it weren't for unions, we'd all be working for minimum wage and no benefits.

"Shoot them in front of their families"
Im in the Union that is striking.... they need to get a sense of humour!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
From the latest remarks by Clarkson, I guess nothing he says he actually means. I guess I won't be offended the next time he says something nasty about the US on Top Gear again . . . and again . . . and again . . .:)
LMAO! He's a natural comedian and makes his money in large part because of that. The show they did about buying crappy, worn out cars in Florida and driving them around the South of the U.S. was hilarious. And they nearly got themselves in a serious jam with some small town locals by writing offensive sayings on their cars. I don't think there is any intent other than comedy behind his words.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Uh oh, I think it's about to get political in here.

There is a reason Top Gear BBC is so popular. They add a certain type of humor to a car show that other such shows haven't been able to duplicate.

Ever watch Trucks! or Hot Rod TV? They seem very stiff by comparison.

Jeremy is a big part of why it's funny! People want to hear what comes out of his mouth and people want to hear him get back a little of what he gives.

I do find that I get a little angry over some of his comments (about Americans and Mustangs) but I still love the show. I think, not just because it's a car show, but it seems like they are having a genuinely good time doing it.

I really hate the "I'm offended" crowd. Just like that Million Moms group that had a JCPenny commercial pulled because it had the Pheobe Cates scene from Fast Times, among other things.

I should probably stop rambling because the "I'm offended" crowd makes me way angrier than ANYTHING Clarkson has ever said.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
I just watched 20 minutes of the American version of Top Gear, and will never say anything bar about Clarkson again. It is so bad, it's embarrassing. The banter sounds completely scripted, the jokes were not even remotely funny. It LOOKS just like Top Gear, but they replaced the hosts with stale, boring, character-free muppets. Maybe I should give it more of a chance, but I can't be arsed. Give me Clarkson, May and Hammond.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts