Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received rod bearings today and will start putting the engine back together tomorrow. I have a ton of new parts and have just been waiting on the bearings. Hope all goes well. I rebuilt this same engine about 25 years ago. Hopefully I can come here if I have any questions. I have forgotten a little since then. Thanks, Chuter If I can I'll try to post a few pictures of the process.

·
Registered
7,370 Posts
Last time i fitted new rod bearings, they were too tight. LF Harris supplied. Interesting to see if yours are just right when fully tightened. Of course, it might have been just a mis match. I re-used the ones i had removed in the end as they had no wear anyway.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have always used plasti-gauge when I have fitted new connecting rod bearings. Saves alot of time and money. Chuter

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
began today

I started putting my tiger 650 engine back together this morning. I have all the cases and parts already cleaned so assembly isn't bad. I put in the new sludge plug and made sure all the passageways were exceptionally clean. I installed the new rod bearings on the crank and then put the crank in the left case. All the time using assembly lube. I used anerobic sealer on the cases and installed all the nuts and bolts. Assembly goes much easier when all parts are super clean. The cases are all assembled and installed the timing gears and timed the crank and cams. That seems like enough for today as that little bit took me almost all day. Will post more later. Chuter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
triumph 650 pics

Rebuilding the 650. Just a few pics of the process. Process is going extremely well with no real hiccups yet. Soon should be able to install in a completely redone rolling chassis. I'm getting excited. Chuter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Welcome chuter! We'll love watching the rebuild - great pics - they make a thread for sure - just keep them coming.

Hmmmmm.......you've been a member since 2012, but just started posting???? You've been riding this and only now it needed rebuilding?

We'd love for you to fill in the blanks!

GN

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not ridden this bike for approx. 15 to 20 years. It has just sat in my attic all disassembled. Over the years I have bought parts for it and just stored them. Over the last possibly 2 years I have been slowly getting it back together. It seems to be a long process but I only work on it occasionally, maybe one or two days every now and then. Today I will take the transmission cover in to work and clean it up in the solvent tank. I have been wandering around here just seeing what is being done and what is available for this bike. This site has a wealth of information on it and just by checking in now and then I have learned a lot. Hopefully I can work on it more often and see some real progress. Thanks to all, Chuter

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
looking very good and clean - at that stage my rebuilds are liberally covered in fresh oil

as you say you are only working on it occassionaly - may i suggest you wrap the con rods to stop accidental contact between them and the crankcase mouth - and the pistons

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I did get a chance yesterday to put a new seal in the trans.and put it back together and believe or not it took me about 6 hours to get the camplate timed correctly. I would have never thought it would be so hard to do. I have the tranny with the leaf spring. I can do it now in my sleep but it took hours of reading and trial and error. Shifts like new now. I did check all the gears and dogs and rollers and seem ok. I did put new springs in the outer cover and new seals in it too. I'm sorry but I was so frustrated I didn't take pictures. Thanks, chuter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't gotten a lot done on the bike lately but I have worked on it a little. The problem is I can't seem to post pictures to my post anymore. I do not know what I am doing wrong but obviously I am doing something wrong. I will try again later but today I will just wish all Happy New Year. Chuter

OK I just found out what I have been doing wrong so hopefully Sometime Sunday I can post them to the site. Thanks again, Chuter

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
71 tiger

As I stated in my last post I have gotten a little more completed on the rebuild. For some reason I could not post pics. but hope I have that resolved. Soooooooo here goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry guys but I haven't been able to do much on the tiger as I had a small health issue. Will get back on it soon so please stay tuned. Thanks, Chuter

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
better every day

Just some more pictures of the progress on the scoot. Not purest but I like it soooooooo much. Maybe will get a chance to run her soon. Joe Hunt mag will need gone through and I have to scrounge up more hardware. Carb will also need rebuilt. Pipes and mufflers are good to go. Paint is up in the air. I like maroon and cream but we'll see. Check it out and I hope you like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts