Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering about ground clearance for this system as it looks like less than standard once fitted?We can park on the footpath in Melbourne so curb jumping means clearance is an issue.
Also it looks like getting the oil filter out could be difficult?I am keen on this system after hearing the sound bite on you tube.
Are there any other 3into1s available for the legend/thunderbird of good quality?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thunderbike

I have it in my Legend and I have no problems with it. You can change the oil-filter easily and you don't have to worry about ground clearance. Perhaps its better to put a db-killer to it, the sound of Thunderbike exhaust is infernal :) , it's also a positive thing. I have original air-filter and in carburators there are factory settings.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
+1

I have the stainless system but I believe it's the same shape etc. Any ground clearance reduction is marginal & oil filter is clear. I would also suggest the db Killer optional baffle. Even with K&N in stock airbox no jetting increase is really needed, tho' it will pop on decel. A more tapered needle improves mid range, eg Thruxton or Dynojet, imo.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think I will go the thunderbike stainless.A local outfit makes what I consider a better looking system but it not sure of the quality or sound of that system and its in a different state.
I want it pretty loud so people can hear me coming so I am not sure about the baffle.Does it change the note of just drop the decibels ? Staintunes have a totally different sound with the baffles in.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
The Thunderbike 'dbkiller' baffle is a bit of a misnomer imo. It mainly cuts a bit of sound at lower revs enabling you to shift up a gear & be a +small+ bit quieter - around police for example :D. But people will still 100% hear you coming. There are many opinions about exhaust sound levels & safety etc. But there's no doubt about it's value to me in rural Ireland where bikes are somewhat few & driver training is poor to put it mildly. Of course it's a sweet sound to me & I especially like the look of the header pipes. Thunderbike's videos are way quieter than reality - automatic recording sound level is surely responsible for this. You get an idea of the tone but the actual sound level is much higher.
One other possibilty is Sprintmanufacturing in the UK. I think they may still offer a stainless 3-1 header set with the option then of different rear cans. Might be worth enquiring, I'm not sure if it's actually still listed on his website.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have ordered the thunder bike system but they are out of stock of both stainless and chrome for another 6 weeks.Went the stainless with the baffle as suggested.
Thanks for help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts