Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a metal sixty8 fender I would like to have chrome plated. I was quoted $240 from a local plating shop.............seems pretty high. Has anyone done this? Any shop recomendations? I was expecting around $125.

·
Registered
276 Posts
agreed with Haggis.

There are a lot of levels of chrome plating, for example the plating on the cheap Emgo replica mufflers you can get is alright but in my experience wears off in a few years. Then you have the chrome plate that was applied to say the fenders on old Triumph and Norton bikes which can take rust from years of sitting and be polished back to a near shine.

If the $215 gets you cheap chrome, I would be displeased, but if it gets you the chrome plate that was expected on the older bikes, then it sounds like a solid price to me.

I wish I had a guy to recommend, but my guy inherited all of his stuff from a friend and is in fact in antiques who chromes old fixtures, has done some simple stuff for me in the past.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
maybe find a chrome fender and make it work? The fork brace (bracket) the mounts the stock fender can be reused. Drill out the rivets on the stock fender and pop off the brace, then drill 4 matching holes in the new chrome fender and re-rivet it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I guess it pays to call around. The nice thing about these bikes is that with a couple of tanks and several different fender colors the entire look can be changed rather quickly. It's almost like getting a new bike. I have a red/white tank and a black tank, white fenders, black fenders, silver fenders and now I'm working on a chrome option. I also replaced the lower fork tubes with bonnie tubes so I can use a traditional fender with stays or the shorty scrambler fender. It keeps me happy because I can change the look and it keeps the wife happy because I don't come home with a new bike!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts