Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really pleased with my '06 Scrambler. About the only thing that isn't quite right with the look of it is the headlamp - it should be bigger and chromed I think....
Somewhere on this forum I've seen a pic of one with a beautifully-proportioned alternative - anyone know what it is/was?
(I guess changing it is really straightforward? Just scrape out the wiring from he old one and stuff it into the new one? Or am I missing something?)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
EMGO makes a nice aftermarket bucket in chrome, black and faux carbon fiber, although the black one seems to be made of unobtanium. I tried several different buckets before I settled on the EMGO unit. The biggest problem with all of them is that they don't have enough room inside for all the wiring. They also have relatively small holes in the bottom for the wires and at least two of the Triumph connectors will not fit through the hole (ignition and rectifier/regulator). I relocated both under my gas tank and then eventually moved the rectifier to the back of the bike (well, by the battery).

The simplest solution would be to put a bucket/headlight from a Bonnie on the bike. Then you will have no issues at all. The problem is locating one. Buying a new one from Triumph is insanely expensive. Maybe you could find a used one somewhere.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also used the Emgo chrome headlight shell on my Scrambler. ( As per Pokeyjoe's recommendation ) It definitely was not a direct bolt-on, but it can be used and looks right.
I had two issues with it.. first the hole for the wires was not big enough and was located too low for adequate pass through, and second was the retaining clips for the headlight I used were keeping the ring from snapping cleanly into the shell.
I ended up using alot of the Dremel tool on it, first to widen and raise the hole for the wiring, and second was to notch the trim ring in several places to clear the headlight retaining clips. Also, I used a bit of small diameter fuel line hose, split lengthwise, as a grommet around the hole the wires went through because the edges were sharp and would cut the wires if left as-is.
I also moved the rectifier to the frame to reduce the amount of wiring in the new shell. ( although the Emgo bucket is bigger in diameter, there is less room inside ).
The stock wire hold-backs inside the shell can be used if you drill out the threads and use new mounting bolts that are long enough to accept a nut on the end with some locktite.

The metal brackets are part of a flyscreen mounting project and not related.

It's tight inside the shell, but here is where using the stock wire holdbacks can help.

This is the rubber hose I used as a grommet to protect the wires from cutting on the shell where they enter from the back

1 - 3 of 3 Posts