Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I want one but I just can't do it for $220 bucks. It's not that I can't afford it I will just feel stupid if I do it. If I had money to burn maybe. I can't believe someone out there can't build and sell these for less and make some money.

PCRider

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
G'day Chuck,
Is the $220US for the dresser bar and the grab rail, or just the grab rail? I would kill to be able to pay that little for an origional Triumph part. Today I recieved my dresser bar and high backrest, I have to say I'm not impressed with the quality of workmanship, brackets didn't align properly, hex key wouldn't fit in bolts properly,welded nuts with slag in the thread which need to be tapped so they don't strip the bolts, Triumph logo on the back pad scratched and all this for $450AUS dollars I had one quote of $530AUS thats between $330-390US. Normally I'd send it back but it's taken the dealer about 5 weeks and alot of screwing around to finally get the part to me, I just couldn't be bothered :mad:

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
I'm sitting here with a nice used 2003 Lucifer Orange T100, that just cries out for a grab rail. The original owner equipped it with the tall backrest (sissybar), which I won't be using. I removed just the backrest portion, since it appeared the chrome mounting bracket was used to mount either the backrest or the chrome grab rail. Guess what ... Triumph doesn't sell a grab rail unless you buy the mounting bracket, too.

And as Murphy's law would have it, my backrest has a small tear in the vinyl covering, making it essentially unsellable. I have to believe the tear was a mfg defect, since it would have been nearly impossible to cause it to rip in 4400 miles of riding.

Perhaps it isn't quite as stylish, but I think RennTech makes a grabrail-only product, instead of the complete rear rack. Don't remember on which site I saw it .... either NewBonneville or BellaCorse.
- Bob -

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Consider spending the same kind of money (and some) for a Ventura Rack System. You mount a couple 'L' bars to your bike parallel to the underside of the seat. To those 'L' bars can mount either:

a small luggage rack that holds a "Sport Bag" w/pockets
- or -
a large luggage rack with a tall rail to support one of a variety of huge single bags (or a couple bags that can zip together)
- or -
a classy grab rail (available in chrome?).

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-02-17 07:18 ]

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the grab rail comes with a dresser bar to mount to?

What I really want is the dresser bar by itself. Basically to affix some bungie buddies or something onto it so that I can strap bags more securely to the seat.

I had thought about going the Renntec route but the grab rail and rack just extend too hight and too far backwards for my personal tastes.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
On 2006-02-17 05:02, ozbon wrote:
G'day Chuck,
Is the $220US for the dresser bar and the grab rail, or just the grab rail? I would kill to be able to pay that little for an origional Triumph part. Today I recieved my dresser bar and high backrest, I have to say I'm not impressed with the quality of workmanship, brackets didn't align properly, hex key wouldn't fit in bolts properly,welded nuts with slag in the thread which need to be tapped so they don't strip the bolts, Triumph logo on the back pad scratched and all this for $450AUS dollars I had one quote of $530AUS thats between $330-390US. Normally I'd send it back but it's taken the dealer about 5 weeks and alot of screwing around to finally get the part to me, I just couldn't be bothered :mad:
I'm quite surprised with your experience. You sure you got the correct parts for your bike?
In contrast, i bought the triumph saddlebag support bars and I thought they were worth the price. Fit was absolutely perfect and they are very well made.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Chuck, Mototwin has this grabrail only from Rentec. I think the Triumph one is a little prettier, but there is no way I could spend $220 on it! This one is 40 pounds, whats that about 80-90 dollars? If I didn't have a sissy bar, I would probably have bought this. I haven't used mototwin, but I know they ship to the US all the time, and people have been happy with them......

MotoTwin grabrail

Keep up the good work on your blog, by the way, I am a frequent reader!

Erik

Actually, now that I look, the post above mine has a photo of it....Apparently you can get it locallly.....

[ This message was edited by: Copper on 2006-02-17 11:09 ]

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
I was asking Brent about the possibility of selling the grab bar by itself so that those of us with the Triumph sissybar could swap out the part when not using the actual backrest portion. That way we wouldn't have to purchase the dresser bar (lower rail) again.

The conclusion was that the grab rail was going to be very expensive to make and sell unless there was going to be a big market for it.

Hey, Chuck! How about this? We split the cost 50/50 you keep the dresser bar and all the fasteners and I keep the grab bar. Interested? Shoot me a PM if you are.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ridge, if I go this route, I will buy the unit and see how it looks. If I decide I don't need the grab rail part of the thing, I will sell it to you cheap.

But I may decide I need the grab rail attachment so that it does not look incomplete.

I will let you know.

On 2006-02-17 11:17, Ridge wrote:
I was asking Brent about the possibility of selling the grab bar by itself so that those of us with the Triumph sissybar could swap out the part when not using the actual backrest portion. That way we wouldn't have to purchase the dresser bar (lower rail) again.

The conclusion was that the grab rail was going to be very expensive to make and sell unless there was going to be a big market for it.

Hey, Chuck! How about this? We split the cost 50/50 you keep the dresser bar and all the fasteners and I keep the grab bar. Interested? Shoot me a PM if you are.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I might also add my two pence worth......

Were they not so danmed expensive, I too would have one on my bike! I think they add a finishing touch that I remember the Trumpets of yesteryear as having.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Chuck,if you just want to bungee a bag to the seat,why not buy a short piece of 1/8th or 1/4" thick times 1" wide mild steel,cut a couple pieces about 3" long,drill a couple holes in it [1 for a bolt,1 for the bungee hook] and bolt them to the inner top shock mount.The shock mount is threaded all the way through, so when you bolt it on,just a little bit of the bracket will show. I mounted my new turnsignals the same way.15 minutes and less than 5 bucks. :???:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank for the tip on Ventura PhatRatt. It looks like a great and really functional system. Lots on luggage and rack variations you can add and very modular. Ans for the Triumph grab rail money, you could get the rails, a rack and a small piece of luggage.

The only think I don't like is the mounting rail part of it is of such a big ring guage and with the silver color it looks a little heavy handed or industrial on the Bonnie. I wish the rail was more dressy or at least stealthy. These Ventura systems look great on the sport bikes where they have the rail concealed under the seat.

I may call them and see if they can do the rail in chrome and or a more stylish guage of tubing.

On 2006-02-17 07:17, FattRat wrote:
Consider spending the same kind of money (and some) for a Ventura Rack System. You mount a couple 'L' bars to your bike parallel to the underside of the seat. To those 'L' bars can mount either:

a small luggage rack that holds a "Sport Bag" w/pockets
- or -
a large luggage rack with a tall rail to support one of a variety of huge single bags (or a couple bags that can zip together)
- or -
a classy grab rail (available in chrome?).
[ This message was edited by: ChuckofTahoe on 2006-02-17 20:06 ]

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
On 2006-02-17 19:27, Ridge wrote:
Sounds great, Chuck.
Here's a shot of just the dresser bar on my bike. It may help you get a feel if you'll like it by itself.
Ridge, which handlebar are you running? it doesn't look like an M bar (maybe a bit more rise) but it sure isn't stock. I ride a fair amount of interstate highway, often to get to the good roads, and want to be leaned into the bike more.

- Bob -

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I am another who wants the grab rail only.The sissy bar is great when the Mrs is on back,but I don't often have her there and want a different look.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used the Ventura luggage system on a previous H****
and I'm using it on my current H**** and love it,
but I have to agree that the rails look a bit "industrial" on the Bonneville.
I'm also shopping for a Triumph rail, or something like it,
and this thread with pictures has been a big help.
You guys rock!

Rocky

1 - 20 of 20 Posts