Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be getting one of these early next week and was wondering if I would be able to use my existing gasket or if a new one would come with it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brent! Is shipping still bing delay due to your addition? And CONGRATULATIONS!

[ This message was edited by: 5bassman on 2007-01-08 05:40 ]

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
I recently had a blown cam cover gasket on my 2006 Scrambler, with just 2,600 miles on the odometer. It was easily fixed under warranty. I have since learned that some newer bikes have had this problem and the replacement gasket is of a better quality than the stock one installed by the factory (according to the Triumph dealerhips mechanic who fixed my bike). Perhaps it umake sense to use a new gasket?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think I would put on a new one for piece of mind,

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe we're talking about two different gaskets here. I'm speaking of the thin rubber gasket that goes directly under the top cam cover. No way of it blowing that I can see. Your not suppose to even tighten it down very tight, 10 newtons I believe. It's just made to keep oil from leaking out that is not under pressure. I believe he's talking of a gasket alittle farther down in the engine.

[ This message was edited by: 5bassman on 2007-01-11 13:19 ]

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, you can re-use the cam cover gasket no problem, well unless you gouge it or cut it getting the thing off with the old cover!

Nathan

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On 2007-01-11 14:45, kliff wrote:
Nope, he's talking about the cam cover gasket....blown may not have been the correct expletive, but y'all are talking about the same gasket.
Other than tearing it during removal how would it "go out"? Mine came out real easy. Now the bolt seals were a bit of a pain to get out, because they had stuck because of the heat.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I guess all I can tell you is that all internal combustion engines pressurize the crankcase to some degree or anotherm due to heat, blow-by, and valve stem leaking. The highest prevalent pressures created are usually in the hottest area, on an engine with minimal blow-by. This would be in the cylinder head area. pressure and temp, can cause a rubber gasket to dislodge itself.....so maybe blown was the right word afterall.

Of course the crankcase vent is supposed to evacuate this pressure, but on certain occassions, and with the right circumstances, it just doesn't work as efficiently as it would have been needed to. Hence the popped, dislodged, or blown, cam cover gasket.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Is shipping still bing delay due to your addition? And CONGRATULATIONS!
Thanks!! Sorry for the delay in replying. We're trying to get caught up but we're still looking at 4 or 5 days to process and ship new orders.

-brent

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ahh... cam covers! Copper and I just replaced my stock cam cover with a pretty chrome one from Hermy's and while he was tightening down the bolts he didn't hear the "click" with the torque wrench and popped the bolt! Had to back the bolt out with a nail and thank God that the threads weren't damaged! We then called around to try to find a new bolt and it seemed that no one had one! We found a used one at Champions Cycle up in B'Ham and they told us up there that this was the first bolt that they had sold in 7 years of working on Triumph bikes. Oh, and I did buy the new rubber gasket and replaced this, too... less expensive at Hermy's than via my dealer. My gasket that came with the bike wasn't hurt or damaged in any way that I could see, but I felt more reasured having the new one.

Mike

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could I ask what how much the 4 bolts need to be torques to?

Also will any torque wrench work? I do not own one yet, but have been eyeballing one at sears when I go in there. I cannot remember much about the wrenches. Last time I used one was in auto shop in Jr. High. Way too many brain cells gone since then.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, my Triumph Bonneville service manual says on installation-
1. Check the condition of the camshaft cover seal and cover bolt seals. Renew any seal which shows signs of damage.
(So it is ok to reuse the seal as long as it is in good condition.)

5.Tighten all camshaft cover bolts finger tight then progressively tighten them to .10Nm.

I don't have a torque wrench yet so I went by feel. I noticed when I loosened the bolts that they were not very tight at all. So when I reinstalled them I just snugged them down easily.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts