Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm having an issue after removing and reinstalling the air enrichment bracket on my 13 bonneville. understanding its not a true choke as its an efi model...i remember i used to have 3 positions that the screw used to pop into, all the way in, 1/2, and fully out. now after reinstalling, it seems it just operates smoothly back and forth. D

oes anyone have any pictures or diagrams on how to proper install the bracket?

if you're curious why this was removed, I installed new SS control cables and removed the bracket to have more space to install.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
i remember i used to have 3 positions that the screw used to pop into, all the way in, 1/2, and fully out. now after reinstalling, it seems it just operates smoothly back and forth.
On the sliding bar that the choke knob is attached to, there are two holes (towards the left throttle body). behind these holes is a spring loaded ball bearing that provides the detent. It looks like it popped out when you took the bar off.

If you can't find the ball and spring (the spring may still be in the hole on the left throttle body), then its gonna be expensive because those parts are not available separately, you would have to replace the throttle bodies assembly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the sliding bar that the choke knob is attached to, there are two holes (towards the left throttle body). behind these holes is a spring loaded ball bearing that provides the detent. It looks like it popped out when you took the bar off.

If you can't find the ball and spring (the spring may still be in the hole on the left throttle body), then its gonna be expensive because those parts are not available separately, you would have to replace the throttle bodies assembly.
I had a suspicion that may have been the issue. I haven't moved the bike so hopefully I can locate it. Thanks for the heads up. Do you by any chance have a picture of what it looks like? The spring and the ball bearing?

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The ball is only about 5mm in diameter and the spring a little smaller. You can see them in this superb photo of TTP's bored and gas-flowed throttle bodies:

Locate the choke mechanism at bottom of photo, see the choke knob, follow along the operating flat bar where you first see one of two slots that limits the sideways travel and its screw/nylon washers. The next item are the two differently-sized detent holes and the detent ball and spring are laid at the side:

Alternative source here:

The XS650 Yamaha Keihin carbs have two of those and sets are for sale ($12) at several places on ebay, like these, it gives you an idea of their size:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-XS650-bs-34mm-carb-choke-lever-rod-detent-ball-and-spring-80-84-set-of-two-/261394064484?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdc4ce464&vxp=mtr

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Once again Forchetto, you are a wealth of knowledge. You'd also be happy to hear that Spain is my favourite country...the southern coast...stunning.

Here is an update...let's just say I was lucky. I took the bracket off about 2 months ago to get everything set up and looked for it about 30 minutes ago...found it sitting underneath the throttle body and a few springs around the bike. lucky? yeah... Here's a picture of what I found.

The spring was already in the housing so I put the bearing in and voila, worked like a charm...the other 2 springs, no idea where they came from...Any ideas?! =P

Argh...just figured it out...they come from the actual metal pieces that the bracket attaches to. oh boy, have to take it apart again...if I lose this ball bearing I'm going to freak out

·
Registered
194 Posts
Any chance you can measure the diameter of the ball bearing, OD and length of the spring then post it here. This would be a great help to any others who find themselves in a similar situation but are unable to find them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Any chance you can measure the diameter of the ball bearing, OD and length of the spring then post it here. This would be a great help to any others who find themselves in a similar situation but are unable to find them.
http://www.motorcycle.com/mobile
+1, I was going to request the same info :) I did an extensive Google search for those dimensions and came up with nothing.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
+1, I was going to request the same info :) I did an extensive Google search for those dimensions and came up with nothing.
Its got to be a standard size, at a guess I would say 5mm, though I've not had one of these apart or actually seen the hole. Anyway, what I was going to suggest, if the OP couldn't find the ball, would be to go to a bicycle shop where you can buy ball bearings in packs, for the steering head and crank etc. Better option than having to replace the throttle bodies.

When replacing the ball, hold it in position with a blob of grease while you locate the sliding bar.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
As it's raining today (and it has been so for over a month here), I thought I could work it out by comparing it with the photo of a US one cent coin next to those components as shown on the similar item on this ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-XS650-bs-34mm-carb-choke-lever-rod-detent-ball-and-spring-80-84-set-of-two-/261394064484?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdc4ce464&vxp=mtr

A one cent US coin (penny) is 0.75 inches (19.05 mm) in diameterhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diameter and 0.061 inches (1.55 mm) in thickness. Can't be bothered and don't know how to do it though, I'll just open a bottle of wine...

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
As it's raining today (and it has been so for over a month here),
Only a month? Over here, Somerset is the new Atlantis. I can't use my workshop because its flooded (only about 0.5 inches where the floor dips fortunately, the rain comes in through a crack between the concrete panels).

A one cent US coin (penny) is 0.75 inches (19.05 mm) in diameter and 0.061 inches (1.55 mm) in thickness. Can't be bothered and don't know how to do it though, I'll just open a bottle of wine...
Print the photo
Measure the one cent coin on the photo
Measure the ball on the photo
Convert the ball measurement to a percentage of the coin measurement.
Convert 'x' percent of 19.05mm to mm, that's the diameter of the ball.

But I agree. Wine is the better idea.. :D

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Only a month? Over here, Somerset is the new Atlantis.
No flood here yet but we're getting the same storms that you're getting (I'm in Northern Spain, Gulf of Biscay).

Lots of coastal storm damage and some inland as well, like the cemetery at Bobes where 100 graves (of the sort that we stack up in what are called "Nichos") have been disturbed...It's like Zombie Holocaust there...

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
No flood here yet but we're getting the same storms that you're getting (I'm in Northern Spain, Gulf of Biscay).
Wow, yes, I think I saw a report on the news about that cemetary the other week. It looked completely flattened. The South West has had it the worst by far here, Us, 'oop north' have suffered nothing in comparison, and now the insurance companies are trying every trick to avoid paying out. Terrible.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/6278063.stm

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
For sure! I don't have the necessary tools to get the exact measurement but I'll see if I can find something thats standardized. Will do my best to get an accurate measurement for you guys. Have to take it apart anyways to throw the other 2 springs on anyways.

I'll have the sizes posted a little later today

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys, see below for the size of the spring and the ball bearing...I didn't want to pull the spring that the ball bearing sits on but I'm sure you can deduct the size based on the size of the ball bearing. Looks like a 4mm ball bearing so Forchetto was close.

Hope this helps everyone in the future! Check out the SS lines as well...droooool

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a similar issue, although from a different cause.
I had a car pull out of a parking spot in a parking garage while I was coming around a corner. I braked hard in the corner and not surprisingly my left leg can't hold up a 500lb bike on it's own. So it was "gently" laid down. We'll fairly gently.
At any rate this bent the choke bracket up and out which resulted in the end spring on the valve popping off and the ball bearing falling out. Neither of which I knew yesterday about nor could find them this morning.
Many thanks to this article as it game me lots of info. As a result I have something to give back.
It seems there is in fact a kit, 2 in fact.
The "Choke Lever kit" part T1245507 and the "Choke Valve kit" part T1245506.
The attached diagram shows the kits labeled parts 15 and 14 respectively.

And the 2 extra springs you found, I believe are the return springs that sit on the ends of the valves so that when you push in the choke knob the springs push in the valves fully.

Thanks again.

http://www.triumphmcparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=1178517

·
Registered
160 Posts
Has anyone actually found and used a replacement ball/spring for this? My bike ('08 T-100) is in the shop getting an overhaul after my having bought it used, and it turns out the previous owner lost the ball & spring. The shop can't seem to order just the ball & spring and are scratching their heads. Does the 4mm ball actually fit? What about the size of the spring? 6mm x ? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I'm sure a bike shop can source 4mm Dia ball bearings, a cursory Google search will locate some, see posts above. The spring is not critical, anything that fits in the hole and applies some pressure to the ball detent will do, possibly one taken from a ball-point click-type pen, but the size is also in my previous post.

If they can't manage that, the whole assembly can be bought for $50 from the factory, it's Part Number: T1245507, item 15 here:

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/2011-triumph-bonneville-throttle-bodies-assembly.html?partnum=T1245507

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks Forchetto!
Let's hope I don't have to pay $50 for a ball bearing and a tiny spring!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts