Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone figured out what the hell this noise is? 1st gear, you know what I am talking about.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Yep, as OKCTriple said his dealer told him on his service the other day, the chirp is indeed a loose belt. How can I be sure? I tightened mine and it was chirping like mad till i did that. After: ZERO CHIRP.

As his dealer told him they are supposed to be quite tight. 10 Lbs of pressure against the belt is supposed to only move it 1/4" I checked mine and i move it a full inch with my finger using what i would estimate was at most a couple pounds if that. So thats pretty dang loose. In fact, i think they all came quite loose and mine loosened up even more as i'm sure everyone's has. The dealers don't normally work on belts unless thier mechanics have been harley mechs in the past or some other belt driven brand. So i'm betting they don't know much.

Theres also a little gauge built into the lower belt guard. Look at OKCTriple's post in the tech section and i think it was mustang who posted some pics of it. Sorry if i got the wrong guy, but i think it was mustang.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder of they stretch just a little when new. I'll check it out, thanks! Daz, did you get that manual? What's the procedure for tightening if need be?

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Yeah, they do. And yes, i have the manual but it tells you how to do it with the tool you'd have to buy. you don't need it tho. It's really quite simple. Push on the belt 1/2 way between the front and rear pulleys and see how much pressure it takes to move it a given amount. the ideal adjustment would be that when pushing it with 10 Lbs of pressure it moves 1/4". I just adjusted it to where it was at 1/4" with probably 1/2 to 3/4 of that and the chirping went away. I fear it being too tight so i just left it there. But if you have a good feel for things like this i think you can get it plenty close enough as i feel i did. Also theres a oblong hole in the lower guard that is hidden by the muffler. But the muffler has to come off anyways to get to the axl bolt. You can use that hole as a guage as described in that thread of OKCTriple's. Just another way to do it.

anyways, the procedure to tighten it goes like this..

1)-remove the muffler bolt that holds it near the rear and remove the heat shiel to get to the hose clamp that clamps the muffler to the cat. you can either remove the muffler or swing it a bit out of the way to get to the axl bolt.

2)-loosen the axl bolt

3)-loosen the outside nut on each side of the axl adjusters and spin it a bit out of the way.

4)-turn each side an equal amount, say a 8th turn and check the belt to see how much that tightened it. repeat doing a little at a time till the belt is where you want it.

5)-torque down the axl bolt then the outside nuts on the adjusters on each side to lock the adjuster nut in place

Remember to turn each side the same amount each time so as not to throw the alignment out. Also you can use the markers in the frame and adjusters on each side to make sure they are both in the same place, tho DO turn them the same amount each time anyways and use the markers to check and be sure it's not off on one side from the other. This is probably mostly known to you having adjusted chains in the past unless this is your first bike.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
dazco said:
Yep, as OKCTriple said his dealer told him on his service the other day, the chirp is indeed a loose belt.
Yes, sorry. I should have sourced my information to OCKTriple. He documented it first in his thread. I was in quite a hurry yesterday. :eek:

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know the torque spec on that axle nut?

Yeah, they do. And yes, i have the manual but it tells you how to do it with the tool you'd have to buy. you don't need it tho. It's really quite simple. Push on the belt 1/2 way between the front and rear pulleys and see how much pressure it takes to move it a given amount. the ideal adjustment would be that when pushing it with 10 Lbs of pressure it moves 1/4". I just adjusted it to where it was at 1/4" with probably 1/2 to 3/4 of that and the chirping went away. I fear it being too tight so i just left it there. But if you have a good feel for things like this i think you can get it plenty close enough as i feel i did. Also theres a oblong hole in the lower guard that is hidden by the muffler. But the muffler has to come off anyways to get to the axl bolt. You can use that hole as a guage as described in that thread of OKCTriple's. Just another way to do it.

anyways, the procedure to tighten it goes like this..

1)-remove the muffler bolt that holds it near the rear and remove the heat shiel to get to the hose clamp that clamps the muffler to the cat. you can either remove the muffler or swing it a bit out of the way to get to the axl bolt.

2)-loosen the axl bolt

3)-loosen the outside nut on each side of the axl adjusters and spin it a bit out of the way.

4)-turn each side an equal amount, say a 8th turn and check the belt to see how much that tightened it. repeat doing a little at a time till the belt is where you want it.

5)-torque down the axl bolt then the outside nuts on the adjusters on each side to lock the adjuster nut in place

Remember to turn each side the same amount each time so as not to throw the alignment out. Also you can use the markers in the frame and adjusters on each side to make sure they are both in the same place, tho DO turn them the same amount each time anyways and use the markers to check and be sure it's not off on one side from the other. This is probably mostly known to you having adjusted chains in the past unless this is your first bike.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Do you know the torque spec on that axle nut?
If i recall it was in the neighborhood of 80 Ft Lbs, (108 Nm) but i would have been more likely to remember had i torqued it.....i didn't have the right size socket. I looked at at the spec before i saw i didn't have a socket so i DID see what it was. :( So i had to use a monkey wrench. But i'm pretty sure it was in the 80's....88 (119 Nm) seems to ring a bell. by the way, i like to use Ft Lbs vs Nm just because i'm used to that so i wrote all the Ft Lb equivilents next to the Mn specs in the manual using a program called "convert".

Now for MY question.....anyone know what size that nut is? I assume it must be in the manual but thought i'd ask so i might pick one up today at lunch.

·
Banned
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Funny, I was just coming back to ask you the same thing. If I had to take a guess, it looks to be about 22mm...maybe 24mm. If anyone knows the size and torque spec for sure, please post. I too need to go buy some tools.

If i recall it was in the neighborhood of 80 Ft Lbs, (59 Nm) but i would have been more likely to remember had i torqued it.....i didn't have the right size socket. I looked at at the spec before i saw i didn't have a socket so i DID see what it was. :( So i had to use a monkey wrench. But i'm pretty sure it was in the 80's....88 (64 Nm) seems to ring a bell. by the way, i like to use Ft Lbs vs Nm just because i'm used to that so i wrote all the Ft Lb equivilents next to the Mn specs in the manual using a program called "convert".

Now for MY question.....anyone know what size that nut is? I assume it must be in the manual but thought i'd ask so i might pick one up today at lunch.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Oops, i used that app "convert" to go from Ft lbs to Mn nut had the entries reversed. I just edited my post. 80 Lbs is 108 Mn, and 88 is 119. Just for the record. in any case i was close thinking it was 80 to 88. On the axl i'd usually go a bit further out of paranoia anyways. Torque wrenches aren't THAT accurate and i doubt 81 (110 Nm) is a hard fast rule and it can't take a few Lbs more. I always like to err on the safe side unless they are small bolts with very small torque specs.

thanks for the size hyper....i'll get one today.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
I found them on ebay and i and a few others bought them from this guy who sells copies. they are however very good copies and are about 50 bucks verses $120 from triumph, or so the guy said in an email. My speedy manual from triumph was $80 4 years ago and a much smaller manual due to the bike requiring a lot less info being injected and water cooled. So even if he's lying about triumph's cost it's still going to be much cheaper. i paid $52 off his ebay page but if you go to his site they are i think $45 as others here paid. Other can tell you how to get to it. I wish i'd known when i bought mine. Shipping is free by the way

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-THUNDERBIRD-1600--T3850700-SERVICE-MANUAL-PAPER_W0QQitemZ220484371937QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090923?IMSfp=TL0909231410002r6298

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
LOFL!! That is one ugly thread .... best info is on the first page.. not much worth reading after that ... :D

<edit> Oh, I see you removed the internal link .... good choice! </edit>

·
Registered
518 Posts
I found them on ebay and i and a few others bought them from this guy who sells copies. they are however very good copies and are about 50 bucks verses $120 from triumph, or so the guy said in an email. My speedy manual from triumph was $80 4 years ago and a much smaller manual due to the bike requiring a lot less info being injected and water cooled. So even if he's lying about triumph's cost it's still going to be much cheaper. i paid $52 off his ebay page but if you go to his site they are i think $45 as others here paid. Other can tell you how to get to it. I wish i'd known when i bought mine. Shipping is free by the way

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Triumph-THUNDERBIRD-1600--T3850700-SERVICE-MANUAL-PAPER_W0QQitemZ220484371937QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090923?IMSfp=TL0909231410002r6298
I purchased one the manuals from ebay and the manual is of good quality.

·
Registered
430 Posts
this could also be a sign of your belt being to tight, i have reading quite bit on the harley forums as they have had belts for years, one thing i have picked up on and is quite a common problem is the two pulleys expand when hot and can expand beyond what the belt can stretch with, this results in noise from the belt, if you thing your belt is not to loose but still have the sound take it for a run and once everything has warmed up and then check it, it will be tighter than when cold but it should not be like a guitar string. some of the harley guys prefer to tension the belt when warm rather than cold to make sure its rite, as every pulley expands differently i dont know how relevant this is to the T-Bird

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
this could also be a sign of your belt being to tight, i have reading quite bit on the harley forums as they have had belts for years, one thing i have picked up on and is quite a common problem is the two pulleys expand when hot and can expand beyond what the belt can stretch with, this results in noise from the belt, if you thing your belt is not to loose but still have the sound take it for a run and once everything has warmed up and then check it, it will be tighter than when cold but it should not be like a guitar string. some of the harley guys prefer to tension the belt when warm rather than cold to make sure its rite, as every pulley expands differently i dont know how relevant this is to the T-Bird

possibly worth considering, tho on the other hand the pulley AND belt will get how so the belt could potentially balance things out. Besides, the manual doesn't say the measurement is to be taken hot so 1/4" at 10 Lbs should be correct no matter what it ends up being when hot. But in any case i didn't adjust mine as tight as suggested because i figured i'd rather be safe. And the fact it no longer chirps should mean it's not too far out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts