Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many of the motor police in my area wear these Chippewa boots on duty, and the ones I've talked to say they're decent enough kit- but some admit the reason they wear them is because compared to some other brands they're inexpensive and they don't get a boot allowance.

Have any of you worn this type and if so what were your impressions? I'm looking at these, along with Gasolina Ton-Ups, and the Icon Elsinore boots. Of course any comparable alternatives are welcome, as well.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/mens-chippewa-boots-17-steel-toe-engineer-boots-black?a=1517088

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaning toward the Gasolina boots, but finances may force me to resort to the 'dig out my old Army combat boots' solution for a while :D

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I had two pair and sold both. I didn't care for the velcro fasteners, they're made out of two thin pieces of leather sewn together so they stretch out easily and they let water in right above the ankle.
Go with Red Wing Heritage Engineer boots, go down one full size from what your feet actually measure and have a cobbler make a thin leather insert for them for a little additional cushioning.
They cost more but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have two pairs of the Chippewa boots, in steel toe and non-steel toe, that I bought last year. I like both pairs but they're a bit different and I like them for different reasons. The steel toed ones have noticeably thicker leather and seem to be more durable/well-made, but I don't like the way they look as much as the non-steel toe since the toes are breaking in a bit funny. They're comfortable and I waterproofed mine and can stand in several inches of water and be completely dry.

Their motor patrol boots (the shiny dress ones) had some quality issues. I tried those first before the engineer boots, and they had a lot of blemishes on them and weird scratches. I don't know if they fixed those issues but I expected more out of boots that cost that much and had to return both pairs.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
I have the Chippewa rally boots. You can't buy a better boot for the cost, in my opinion. All leather upper, great construction, easy on and off. I think the reinforcement on the vamp is a great idea. These are my favorites

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've had a pair of the rally's for 7 years , great boots , american made and warranty for life , and rebuildable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts